Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2016 21:00

Scrolling is laggy with my DELL XPS 15

Hi, I'm having a problem with my DELL XPS 15, the problem is when I scroll in a window that has a lot of images, that causes the CPU usage to be high therefore causes lag.

I thought the problem was just in Google Chrome but even when I used Firefox and Microsoft Edge the problem persists "even though it's worse on Chrome", and the problem is even more obvious if I open the System32 folder and change the view to large icons "because this folder has a lot of icons" ... when I scroll there the Windows Explorer task eats more than 20% of the CPU !!!! and the scrolling isn't smooth.

I started to think that the problem is because my laptop is the 4K version, and the GPU can't handle it because the resolution is too high and there is a lot of images, but even changing the resolution to 1920*1080 didn't solve the problem, it's less laggy and not smooth and the Windows Explorer task consumes lesser.

And please know that at some point like before two months, my laptop started to get slow, and I noticed this problem, and the motherboard was changed, and now the laptop is fast as before but this problem didn't disappear.

And yeah games are smooth as before.

I really don't know what causes this issue, but tell me what you think, and if you have the same laptop with the 4k display could you please try to test that ?, go the the System32 folder and see if the scrolling there is laggy, and how much does the Windows Explorer task consumes.

Thank you all, and sorry for my English if it wasn't perfect.

10 Posts

November 25th, 2016 21:00

I forgot to mention that it's DELL XPS 15 9550

November 27th, 2016 11:00

I have this problem too on a Dell XPS 13 with touchscreen QHD. The scrolling is laggy when there are images involved

10 Posts

November 27th, 2016 12:00

I have a couple of questions, I would really really appreciate it if you helped me,

1- Is your experience based on a 3rd party application ? , if it's, then could you please try that on System32, but be sure to change the power option to Hight Performance and change the view to large icons and maximize the window.

2- Did the problem suddenly appear ? or you just noticed it from the moment you got your machine ?

November 27th, 2016 13:00

1. Oops, looks like the scrolling issue was just with Firefox. I tried it with System32 and it was normal scrolling without any lag. Same for Chrome, normal scrolling.

2. This is a new machine, I got it 4 days ago (Dell XPS 13 9360). So far the only issue I've noticed is that the taskbar is still a little visible when I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del. (screen burn in or something) But the scrolling for me is normal now, it is only laggy on firefox

489 Posts

November 27th, 2016 15:00

Perhaps GPU turned off in Power options (power plan)?

10 Posts

November 27th, 2016 19:00

Yeah, scrolling in some browsers is laggy and it's not a problem with your machine it's a problem with the browser itself that's why I asked you to try that on the System32 file.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

10 Posts

November 27th, 2016 19:00

Everything in power plan is set to be on Maximum Performance.

The laptop has even been formatted and that didn't fix the problem, so I'm sure it's a hardware problem, and I think the problem is either with the processor or with the Intel video card "not Nvidia, because as I said games work perfectly"

But I need a reply from someone who is more experienced than me.

November 29th, 2016 09:00

Hi, 

Do you experience any lag or delays in opening applications. The lag that you mentioned in the system32 folder and the browsers, do try the following

1. Check if the same happens when you an external mouse as well

2. Have you tried initiating a clean boot of the OS i.e. diabling all third party services and startup processes

3. Alternate method would be booting the computer in safe mode with networking then trying the steps.

4. Disable the following services from startup , Background inteligence transfer service, windows search and anything related with google.

It doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

10 Posts

November 29th, 2016 12:00

I've done everything you said and nothing changed.

But I really started to think the same, that it's not a hardware issue, because yesterday I went to the retailer and I tried the scrolling with different laptops, and I noticed the same with them, but the weird thing is that when I tried that on Dell XPS 13 it was super smooth.

Plus that the scrolling on Microsoft Edge is so smooth "on my laptop" even if there are many pictures, but isn't it weird that it's not smooth on a windows folder ?!

I really don't even know if it's a problem and started to appear, or if it was there from the beginning and it's a normal thing and I just noticed it after my laptop got slow "but it has been fixed'

I Reset my PC yesterday and I've done the "fully clean the driver" and it's the same.

and after I've done some research it appeared that many users suffer the same thing "scrolling on chrome is laggy" and Google is planning to improve that in the future.

And when I say it's laggy what I mean is that it's not smooth, not as if it was "jumpy" or something like that.

Thank you all for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

Best Wishes.

December 1st, 2016 08:00

Now it definitely doesn't seem like a hardware issue. It could because of the memory management issues of the chrome browser. Ideally, it should be fine on the system32 folder, unless it is taking time to load the icon thumbs.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2016 18:00

I'm experiencing the same issue with slow scrolling in the windows32 folder. My chrome scrolling performance is especially bad. This is most apparent when trying to scroll using the touchscreen. Scrolling is jagged and unresponsive. Turning the system resolution down to 1080p improves the responsiveness of chrome a lot, though. Is there anything else I can do to improve performance of windows scrolling in general?

November 16th, 2017 21:00

This same issue is happening to my brand new Dell Insiron 7577 Gaming. So far I have found this issue to only happen when my laptop is on battery power. When I scroll in programs like Chrome, Discord, and Slack the scrolling is VERY laggy. I even tried enabling the dedicated 1060 on those applications and that didn't help. The issue is only really present when using the touch pad. When using a mouse it isn't as bad but the lag is still there. Any help would be appreciated. :( I paid a lot for this laptop.

No Events found!