Highlighted
keliason
Bronze

Secondary HDMI Monitor Flickers

I have an XPS 15 9550 with 4k Touch Screen. I use it at work and hook it up to a 1980x1020 monitor via the HDMI port. Pretty standard.

However, I've noticed that once in awhile the monitor will flicker to black for about a second and then pop back up. Annoying but not frustratingly annoying. This generally only happens a few times a day, but some days it will do it like 5 times in under two minutes which is frustratingly annoying.

And even worse, sometimes it will flicker to black and just stay black. The windows I had open on my monitor will jump over to the laptop screen and I have to unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in.

This shouldn't be happening. I've thought that maybe it is because I need a 4k monitor to pair it properly, but that doesn't seem right. Besides, I'm not wanting to spend $400 quite yet.

Any idea what's going on? Do I have a bad laptop? From what I know, I've updated everything (Bios, Graphics drivers, etc.). I've tried a different monitor and a different HDMI cable - no difference. Same issue on all.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Secondary HDMI Monitor Flickers

Hi keliason,

Good work on troubleshooting. I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Press the Windows key and Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
3. Now select properties.
4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then Nvidia card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos