Highlighted
stby
Copper

Touch Screen not working on Inspiron 7737

I've had my Inspiron 17 for 4 months and noticed today that the touchscreen isn't working.

No idea how long ago the problem started as I generally use the old desktop/touchpad combination

When checking PC settings it now says 'no pen or touch input is available for this display.'

Any ideas

Thanks?

43 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

RE: Touch Screen not working on Inspiron 7737

First thing to do is verify that you purchased a model with a touchscreen - is there a glass covering over the screen itself?

0 Kudos
stby
Copper

Thanks for that, truly helpful

Herkfixer1
Copper

First thing to do is verify that you purchased a model with a touchscreen - is there a glass covering over the screen itself?

This type of condescending attitude is why people end up paying other people to fix their problems. To OP.. I have the same system and have the same problem. Have you found a solution yet? And yes, if you read the OP, and I'm going to say the same thing, It worked fine for the first few weeks. You don't just open up a brand new laptop with a touchscreen installed, and four months later decide.. hmmm, maybe ill try touching the screen to see what happens. Anyway, I digress, I checked the device manager and there are no conflicts and despite having actually touched the screen and verified, to my gf's annoyance usually while shes gaming and I opened up random windows for her to have to close out repeatedly, when I check the "PC Info" for the system it now says "No pen and touch input is available for this display".
GRW1444
Copper

I'm now in the same boat --- touchscreen not working... and I've only had my Inspiron 17 for 2 DAYS.  Has DELL put out a patch for this???

GRW1444
Copper

I contacted DELL Support and they remotely logged in to my laptop via Click2Fix+.  After almost 90 minutes, the touch screen still wasn't fixed and they are replacing my new laptop.

Seeing all the other postings online about this Inspiron 17 with touch screen technology makes me very concerned that I'll have the same problem with my replacement laptop... especially during a client meeting.

ejn63
Diamond

Nothing condescending was meant with the first reply.  If you've done any kind of support at all, you know to check these things - it's very often the case that people don't understand what they've purchased and that many items like touchscreens are NOT standard equipment.  I've seen many cases where people assume that they have purchased equipment they in fact have not - and there's no sense troubleshooting a part that isn't there.

Pkegles
Copper

This worked for me...

(http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%208%20RTM/nosp/Fix415636/9200/free/454040_intl_x64_zip.exe)

It's a hotfix from microsoft for the touch screen...

Install and restart.

I hope this work for you guys...

0 Kudos
Ushcasey
Copper

Just tried this hotfix on my Dell Inspiron 7737 for the same touchscreen issues. Didn't work for me, says "this update is not applicable to your computer".  Hope someone can figure it soon, I'm at a loose end.

paulladle
Silver

I have similar issues in that my touchscreen on my 7737 decided to vanish after a Windows update, its seriously starting to cheese me off now as the laptop is only 2 weeks old and if there are actually any Dell employees viewing these threads they obviously don't want to answer them which makes me suspicious they know what the problems are but they don't have a solution. I'll have a go at fixing this problem on my computer myself IF SOMEBODY AT DELL ACTUALLY FESSES UP WHERE THE DRIVERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FOR THIS DEVICE!