Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

12 Posts

January 10th, 2004 13:00

Touchpad not responding to tap

Inspiron 4100 xp home

My touchpad stopped working yesterday evening. I can see and move the cursor but when I tap on the pad there is no reaction. I cannot use it to send a command. I have synaptics touchpad installed and the latest update. I have found a mouse and that works fine. I booted to the diagnostics cd and ran a test on the one device. I got a couple of boxes. I moved the cursor to the left box. It was clear and then filled with colour. I clicked on the arrow on the keyboard and tried the right box. It didn't fill with colour. In fact nothing seemed to happen. I was left looking at the same screen. In the end I aborted the test. I have the feeling that it's a hardware problem with the touchpad.

Would anyone have any help, comments, suggestions please?

3 Posts

January 12th, 2004 01:00

I am also having the same problem with my Inspiron 4100 thouchpad.  In addition the mouse  buttons also do not respond.  I can move the mouse around with the touchpad but can't select or activate anything.  I have reinstalled the driver and checked settings.  Am having to use an external mouse.  Dell support was not able to help. 

12 Posts

January 12th, 2004 13:00

Isilwen,

I have just been on the telephone to Dell hardware support. They agreed it is a failure of the hardware. They are going to collect and repair under warranty.

I suggest you contact them again.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2004 01:00

joshperk,

OK, thanks.

No Events found!