Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

January 18th, 2008 02:00

Vostro 1500 "no audio device" in Windows XP

I purchased a Vostro 1500 with Vista and added XP Pro in a dual boot configuration.  Everything works well except I have not been able to get the Sigma sound card to work.  I have downloaded the appropriate driver (R158235) according to the Dell website, installed it and still no sound device detected by XP.

Any ideas???

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 18th, 2008 12:00

After installing an operating system, this is the order of installation for the Sigmatel audio driver:

a. Install Dell Notebook System Software (click the + sign next to System Utilities). Restart.

b. Next and very important, install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (click the + sign next to Chipset). Restart.

c. Finally install the Sigmatel R158235 audio driver (click the + sign next to Audio).

Get these from
Vostro 1500 XP downloads

There seems to be a glitch in the installation process with the v1500. These are the tricks used by other owners to complete the installation:

"You have to uninstall an unknown PCI device in Device manager first , then install the driver normally"

"Hi, thanks for the tip !!, the key was remove the device with the warning."

"Another thing I did, and I don't know if is important, was installed a xp fix that comes with the R158235."

================================================================================
================================================================================

This tip is from forum member satcom1973:

"When I go to Device Manager, I see under Sound, video and game controllers everything looks good except SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC. There is a yellow circle with a black exclamation point in it, indicating some sort of conflict. Also under OTHER DEVICES is a conflict with Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus. Also under OTHER DEVICES is 3 other conflicts called Base System Device.

I finally got this thing resolved. The trick, at least for me was removing the 3 Base System Device objects. Those ended up being the Ricoh Chipset drivers.

Once I removed those, I ran the install for the Audio. Please note that I did not reboot after installing the 3 Base System Device objects and the install of the audio driver. Only after the audio driver completed did I reboot. After the reboot I was able to then install the drivers for the Ricoh chipset devices."

===================================================================================
===================================================================================

Jim

5 Posts

March 14th, 2008 01:00

jimco,

I finally followed your directions and my sigmatel audio drivers finally installed.  I had to get rid of the pci audio device in the device manager before the driver would install correctly.  Thanks very much for your help.

Ross

No Events found!