Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 27th, 2016 11:00

XPS 13 + U2415 External Monitor = No Luck!

I have read a number of posts having similar issues but so far have not succeeded in getting anything to work, so I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a new 2016 Skylake XPS 13 and am trying to connect to an external monitor.

I have plugged the USB-C cable into the thunderbolt port and then into both HDMI options on the back of the monitor.  I keep getting a message "there is not signal coming from your computer".

I have hit F8 and cycled through the options but nothing seems to work in terms of outputting a signal.  Can someone help coach me through what I am missing here?

Thanks so much.

8 Posts

May 30th, 2016 14:00

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Dell  Support on this issue.

They had me update drivers for the Thunderbolt port and BIOS.  But after all of that it still is not working.

The technician suggested the issue is probably the USB-C - HDMI cable, but when he checked to see what cable Dell has or would recommend, he said they dont have any cables that he knows of that will work!

This is crazy...anyone else have any success with this?

4 Posts

May 31st, 2016 06:00

Same  Profane word removed as per TOU>

8 Posts

May 31st, 2016 07:00

...so....does that mean "no, I have not seen anyone have success?"

:emotion-5:

4 Posts

May 31st, 2016 08:00

that mean dell don't give a  Profane word removed as per TOU>

8 Posts

May 31st, 2016 10:00

sadly it does seem to be the case...really surprising.

79 Posts

May 31st, 2016 12:00

does the laptop itself have an HDMI port or a VGA port .

8 Posts

May 31st, 2016 15:00

The new XPS 13 has a Thunderbolt port.

The issue is that so far it seems very challenging to find a cable that works plugged into this port and going into the monitor (which has HDMI, MiniDisplay, DIsplay Ports)

79 Posts

May 31st, 2016 16:00

have you tried an adapter like the one in the link

www.ebay.com/.../291770268218

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 08:00

Wow.  I can believe how terrible Dell's support has gotten.  It used to be a selling point - now I have been pushed off to customer service reps who are barely literate in english - which I dont hold against them, but how are they supposed to help me when they cant understand what I explain or communicate their answers?

The experience has been shockingly unprofessional and really just terrible.

Fortunately after a lot of experimentation I have finally found a cable that worked for me, hopefully this is helpful for others who have this problem (dont bother calling Dell Support):

www.amazon.com/.../B01CKJPTOU

No Events found!