Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

June 29th, 2017 08:00

XPS 15 9550 Bluetooth stopped working (Unknown USB device - device descriptor request failed)

I was just working happily when my Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse just suddenly stopped working.

The Bluetooth settings page says "Bluetooth is turned off" and there are no options on the settings page or the system tray to turn Bluetooth on.

The Device Manager now has "Unknown USB device - device descriptor request failed" where it did not before.

Other devices all seem to be working fine - USB devices plugged in are being recognized and work properly. Only BT seems to be broken.

I've tried:

uninstalling the device and rebooting

installing the latest updated chipset drivers from the dell website

windows updates

pretty much all of the advice here: http ://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-usb-device-not-recognized-device-descriptor-request-failed

Any other ideas?

Thanks

24 Posts

June 29th, 2017 08:00

So in desperation I just went into BIOS settings to see if there are any BT settings that may have become disabled. I didn't see any, and I didn't change any other settings.

After rebooting, BT and my mouse is now working again.

Something seems to be really flaky here, but hopefully this will help others with the same issue.

24 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 08:00

It just happened again - same solution got it working again. Definitely something fishy going on with BT.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2017 14:00

Hi wbradney, 

Can you let me know what wireless card (w/ BT combo) your system is using? And also what BT devices you're using? 

Best regards,

Brad

7 Posts

July 6th, 2017 15:00

I had the same issue as the original poster on an XPS 9560. My bluetooth mouse stopped working in the middle of a session for no apparent reason. Restarting the laptop didn't solve the problem for me though.

Also like the original post I had a USB device in device manager with an error. Uninstalling that device and scanning for hardware changes reenabled bluetooth for me.

July 7th, 2017 03:00

I had the same issue. Instead of uninstalling the device I suspended it. This because uninstalling and scanning for hardware brought up the issue again.

24 Posts

August 4th, 2017 06:00

This just happened to me again. And the same resolution (boot into BIOS setup, change nothing, exit).

Another symptom of this problem is that Windows 10 never shuts down. It sat there with the spinning "Restarting" page overnight for about 8 hours and I had to do a hard power off.

I have "Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth 4.1" and a Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse 3600

Network card is "Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter"

Oh, and I installed the latest 1.2.29 BIOS in the last few days.

31 Posts

November 18th, 2017 18:00

same problem here.  have to un-install BT then scan for changes.  I have to do this every few days.

Dell, any suggestions?

No Events found!