Highlighted
Kevin Wei
Bronze

XPS 15 9550 Freeze randomly - Black screen

My XPS 15 9550 - quad core i5 freezes randomly - the screen will turn black (or grey), but not the windows BSOD. I have to hold the power button to force shutdown and reboot the laptop when this happens.

Tried updating all drivers, not helpful, clean installed windows 10, didn't help.

This could happen anytime, even at the time I'm not touch my laptop, or running anything.

Seems to be driver related or hardware.. anyone have some issues? 

0 Kudos
77 Replies
Lu Gao
Bronze

RE: XPS 15 9550 Freeze randomly - Black screen

I had the exact same issue yesterday, was on the phone with Dell support for 2 hours and they couldn't figure out why, the final decision was they were going to replace the motherboard as they thought it was more likely a hardware issue than a software one.

Question, did you use the new TB15 dock with your 9550 as I'm trying to figure out if the failure is related to using the dock to provide power. 

0 Kudos
Kevin Wei
Bronze

No, I'm not using the dock.

I kinda suspect is the video card - I have disabled the nividia video card for a couple of days, havent seen the freeze yet.. 

Let me know if your new motherboard fixes you issue.. I really dont want to replace the motherboard, would rather return it if possible.  

0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. Fresh install, newest updates. Only thing to add is that for me, it has always happened with youtube open (although this may be because I almost always have youtube open).

0 Kudos
Lu Gao
Bronze

I tried, they won't let me return it since I have owned it since November. Hope the new motherboard will fix it.

0 Kudos
Kevin Wei
Bronze

Are you running youtube on the nvidia video chip?

0 Kudos

yes

0 Kudos
Kevin Wei
Bronze

try disabling the 960m chip and see if the problem still happen to you.. I have it disabled for a couple of days now, haven't seen a crash yet. 

0 Kudos
Lu Gao
Bronze

can I ask how did you disable the nvidia card?

0 Kudos
Kevin Wei
Bronze

Go to device manager, find the 960M under display adapters, right click on it, and choose 'disable' 

0 Kudos