Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2017 13:00

XPS 15 9550 Random Reboots

Bought a refurbished, with warranty, XPS 15 9550.

Updated Windows 10 and all drivers through SupportAssist app.

Laptop is connected, full-time, to a DisplayLink dock via USB 3.0. I've downloaded and installed the dock software too.

I'm getting random reboots. It's terribly irritating. Tried Dell Phone support but I can't understand the thick Indian accent on the other end.

What might I be missing??

-Mike

PS: Running a "checkup" now..will post a screenshot if any errors are recorded.

2K Posts

January 21st, 2017 08:00

Hi Mike,

Does the system overheat? Does it restart automatically or does it crash with a bluescreen? Does this happen with or without connected to the dock?

What applications are you using when this occurs? Does it shutdown / hibernate fine? Does it resume from Auto / Manual sleep modes fine?

What is the current BIOS version? Try a force BIOS flash - http://dell.to/2h9shSO 

Disconnect the dock and try using the system and observe the behavior.

Restart and check in safe mode - http://bit.ly/1LHcO2c

Enable the built in admin account and check - http://bit.ly/1JoFhcw 

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

If the issue is unresolved, then restart the system and press f2 to enter BIOS - leave the system in BIOS with the adapter plugged in for as long as possible and check if the system restarts while in BIOS environment.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

2K Posts

January 21st, 2017 10:00

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the update.

Glad to hear that the issue has not reoccurred again.

As long as the fan is functional and the dock itself does not overheat, I suppose there should not be any issues with the system connected.

January 21st, 2017 10:00

Thank you for responding. This *may* be resolved. I updated the NVIDIA drivers yesterday after I posted this and haven't had a reboot yet. My BIOS is 1.2.18 by the way. No BSOD just all screens go black and the laptop reboots.

Anyways, if I encounter further problems I'll come back here. Before I go: I use the laptop, full time, with the docking station so the lid is always closed. Any cooling problems with that? -Thanks

-Mike

January 21st, 2017 16:00

Well, I'm still getting restarts but far less frequent. Here is a screenshot from the SupportAssist app system history. Does it mean anything to you?

2K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 13:00

Hi Mike,

The event specified here is WindowsUpdate as you see. 

Run all Windows Updates and check again. 

If the issue still persists, then we might need to isolate the update package that is causing this failure. That would be an exhaustive approach. I could provide the steps if required. It would be easier if you could perform a system restore to a functional point and that might help resolve the issue as well.

January 24th, 2017 04:00

By the way, I just installed the latest BISO: 1.2.19

January 24th, 2017 04:00

I restored my laptop to Jan 11th (earliest restore point) and the wifi didn't work. I downloaded the driver, from a separate laptop, and when I tried to install it the installation failed. So I restored to Jan 15th. WiFi works now but I continue to have random, and frequent, blue screen problems. Below is a screenshot. Looking at Support Assist system history I have a lot of these "Live Kernal Events". What else can I do?? This problem makes my laptop almost useless. Can I perform a factory reset? If so, how do I do that? Any other suggestions?

2K Posts

January 26th, 2017 11:00

Hi Mike,

Download this application and send the screenshot once run, for us to review. Based on the exact error codes, we shall advise further course of action.

January 26th, 2017 11:00

It was recommended to me to follow this procedure:

www.dell.com/.../QNA42392

I did this yesterday and haven't had a problem since.

By the way, I already have the blue screen viewer installed. Thank you.

2K Posts

January 27th, 2017 10:00

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that the issue has not occurred again.

Would you prefer to keep me posted about the system functionality over the weekend or shall I archive the case?

Keep us updated.

January 27th, 2017 10:00

You can archive the case. I think this is now resolved. Thank you!

2K Posts

January 27th, 2017 11:00

Hi Mike,

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

Happy Weekend!

January 28th, 2017 08:00

I take it back ...this is NOT resolved. Later that day I had more problems. Today, Saturday, I had problems. I've replaced the dock, updated all of the drivers, windows update, etc. I'm still getting blue screens. The bluescreen viewer is of no help because when I get the BSOD it never goes past 0%.

I talked, on the telephone, to a representative who reinstalled drivers. I've already reinstalled drivers. That is not a solution. I want my laptop fixed.

January 28th, 2017 09:00

Like I said previously the blue screen viewer is of no help because my BSOD doesn't go past 0% ...but here's the screenshot...

2K Posts

January 28th, 2017 09:00

Hi Mike,

Kindly send me a screenshot of the bluescreenview application when run. 

It will list all the BSOD's on the system and based on that I shall advise further course of action.

No Events found!