Order66
Bronze

XPS 15 9560 Killer Wireless killing my network

Jump to solution

So I received my 9560 yesterday.  It has been largely unusable.  The problem being the Killer 1535 wifi card seems to be able to nuke my whole wifi network.  It only requires a few minutes of browsing the web (notice it particularly on Facebook) before the killer does something which causes my router to basically shut down the wifi side (router is a Drayek 2860n+ which has previously run for 2years without a single fault with many other devices).

I narrowed it down to the killer card by plugging in a belkin USB wifi adapter and the machine becomes usable and stable, but the second I re-enable and use the killer 1535 the whole network crashes.

A bit of googling would suggest this isn't limited to my router type and the Killer 1535 is extremely unstable and unfriendly to routers.

So far I have tried to install new drivers from the Dell support site, and also from Killer's website (drivers dated just 1 day ago, they seem to issue a new version every week, which is telling).

Any other suggestions on how to fix this?  Its taken about 12hours to get the laptop setup so I am very reluctant simply to return it.

Why on earth Dell ship this laptop with such unstable hardware is beyond me, searching the web I am definitely not alone.

28 Replies

RE: XPS 15 9560 Killer Wireless killing my network

Jump to solution

Order66,

I am with Rivet Networks, the company who produces and supports the Killer Wireless 1535. Unfortunately your issue seems to lie with the Wireless Driver in the router. If the Wireless is stopping for the entire router, it sounds like the wireless driver in the router is crashing. Have you looked to see if there is a firmware update for your router?

I might also recommend to try other Channels, Frequencies (Mhz), or wireless mode settings to see if that can help.

Regards,

Thomas

Rivet Networks

0 Kudos
Order66
Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Thomas, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  

Dell have resolved the issue by swapping out the 1535 for an Intel 8265 card.  

I appreciate your point that this is fundamentally a router issue - in that no card should be able to cause the router to reboot, but it is something in the activity of the 1535 that is causing this issue as it exists with no other card or device in a router that has had hundreds of different wifi devices connecting for several years.  

I've suggested to Draytek that they bug fix this at their end, but perhaps you could look into designing a "friendly" mode in the Killer software which people could fall-back to in the event of issues.

Thanks.

banool
Copper

Jump to solution

Order66, how did you go about getting this replacement? I've had issues like this as well.

0 Kudos
Order66
Bronze

Jump to solution

Simply called Dell with a waranty issue.  It was fairly straightforward once I mentioned the Killer wifi card they pretty much offered to replace it immediately, didn't even bother with the usual hoop jumping of remote login and diagnosis.  Felt like this wasn't the first call about the Killer card they had taken.

husayt
Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and again everything poimts to Killer Wireless. On the other side Killer Network Manager is using 66% of my battery juice.

This thing is really dodgy.  I just don't understand how did Dell put this rubbish into £2000+ laptop.

AhmadAbbas
Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you Order66 for this post, I hope it will solve my problem too.

I have a question; so did you send your laptop back to Dell to replace the card and Dell shipped it back to you again?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Order66
Bronze

Jump to solution

The laptop was less than 24hrs old, so Dell sent an engineer the following day and he replaced the card on-site.

0 Kudos
Minobas
Copper

Jump to solution

Same Issue here. I plugged in a usb wifi card, and my laptop becomes stable, wifi as well. I disabled the killer wifi.

0 Kudos
ahoeh
Bronze

Jump to solution

Same here. Using the DELL XPS 15 9560 with Killer WiFi disturbs the router and other laptops nearby.

I hope they will offer me some intel card.

0 Kudos