Pithikos
Bronze

RE: XPS 15's everlasting coil whine

By the way, second replacement today and still the same issue! I really don't understand Dell's procedures. Do they keep sending the same units and then pray that magically things will fix? XPS 9550 - two replacements - same issues. XPS 9560 - two replacements - same issues.

LuckyKnight
Bronze

I received a brand new Dell 9560 on Friday and can confirm that I have this issue. I've already updated the BIOS to the latest - 1.2.4

The noise occurs when the charger is plugged in and I can hear it from the top left (near to where the charger plugs in).

By simply moving the trackpad or pressing a key on the keyboard I can see the high pitch noise.

I'm really dissappointed in my purchase.

myuu
Copper

My wife's 9560 purchased early February also has this issue. Same symptoms as LuckyKnight. Same BIOS update from 1.0.3 to 1.2.4, without resolution.

0 Kudos
vlegoll
Bronze

Hello,

I've got a precision 5520, and it also has coil whine: high pitched noise coming from top left corner...

0 Kudos
YaredNol
Copper

I just got a brand new 9560, hear a coil whine all the time if I'm in a very quiet environment, or when I hold my ear to the keyboard. There's a very low, constant buzz, that ramps up if I scroll up and down in the browser.

Irritating, and makes me definitely never want to buy a Dell again.

0 Kudos
Klakis
Copper

So what? Everybody stopped fighting for this?? Latest BIOS (1.3.4) blah blah blah with the same exact problem.

HOWEVER

I have to add an information I got from a Dell Support Guy in March 2017. What he said was that Dell has manufactured brand new motherboards, which do not have this coil whine issue. Then, XPS 15 9550-9560 owners will have an engineer at their house replacing the old motherboard with these ones!

Now, I am not naive to believe this but has anyone got the same answer? Anyone has anything to add Dell social media team?Just curious.

0 Kudos
antrois
Copper

I noticed it and can still return the laptop if I want to. It's sad that Dell ignores this problem...

0 Kudos
antrois
Copper

Hey. In case anyone is following this, the Dell french support today said that they planned to release a BIOS update that aims to remove coil whine. It should be there by the end of September/beginning of October.

0 Kudos
DaanQ
Bronze

As initiator of this thread, I thought it would be good to give you an update.

So I sent a letter to Dell Netherlands in March with the request to give my money back. Of course Dell didn't agree and they let a guy call me who was very unfriendly (I think they put him in that position on purpose as he is probably good with handling "difficult" customers), however, he did offer me a replacement. I thought this was a good deal seeing the situation. At that time I was still abroad, so I said I would like to make use of the replacement once I would be back in the Netherlands in June (as international warranty doesn't cover replacements).

In May I sent this guy an email saying I would be back in June. First he didn't respond for a long time, but after reminding and pushing him a bit he said some other department was handling my request. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks so I asked how the department was handling my case. From that point onward, this unfriendly guy never answered me back (even after some spamming from my side). So I had to find other Dell employees to handle my case.

I found a new guy to whom I send a PDF document of my email communication with the unfriendly guy. This guy said he forwarded it to the "escalation department" which would take care of my case. As you can guess, I didn't hear from this department at all so I contacted my guy again. Suddenly this guy was on holiday... so I got a new guy again who said he would really fix my case this time (by now he made that promise two weeks ago). So right now, this escalation department has been working on my case for 5 weeks.

To sum it up: the customer care of Dell Netherlands is a joke! Some guy promised me a replacement a few months ago and I still didn't get it... so sad thinking I paid 2000 euros to buy a product from Dell. I have the feeling I'm dealing with some small shady electronics company instead of with a big multinational who makes huge amounts of profits every year but cannot even provide friendly and adequate support.

So, dear Dell employees who don't work for Dell Netherlands, if you read this, please go to your manager and tell him/her that Dell Netherlands is a complete mess. But it would be even better, if someone could just help me getting the replacement I was promised! It would be very much appreciated.

antrois
Copper

Sounds like something that would take too much effort to fix, so they prefer to pretend it doesn't exist and ignore complaints about it. As my support was friendlier, I've set a reminder on September 30th, which is the date they promised the BIOS update. I'll post an update here if it helps.

0 Kudos