Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2011 19:00

XPS 15Z battery is suddenly not charging and the status light is blinking orange steadily

This laptop was purchased in August 2011. Up until about two hours ago, the battery worked perfectly fine and charged normally. I have been using the computer more frequently as of late, particularly on battery power, and I've noticed that even though I have it on power saver, the battery has been running down faster than it has in the past. Today, the only thing I've done differently is that I've performed quite a few battery-sucking tasks while on battery-only. But everything else was the same. Now I'm receiving a consistently blinking orange battery status light and when I press the battery status button on the chassis, all 5 lights do not light up. Instead, lights 1, 3, and 5 blink and then go out.

Normally, with other laptops, I might remove the battery altogether when on AC power or if something goes awry, I'd power down and remove the battery altogether and let everything cool off. But I can't remove the battery in this computer without removing the whole chassis. And I've powered down twice to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was your solution? Is this a common problem with this model? Please help if you can!

Thanks,

Erin

November 11th, 2011 20:00

I am connecting it up. It's connected right now. But the battery is not charging and the Dell Battery Health Meter states that Battery Charging is Disabled even though I haven't disabled it. The adapter works fine and the computer is powered up and working -- but only when connected via the adapter. Battery life is currently listed at 36% and not charging. Even though the adapter is connected.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 11th, 2011 20:00

I am not understanding your problem.

Why aren't you connecting up your AC adapter to recharge the battery?

3.8K Posts

November 12th, 2011 02:00

Hi Erinhdailey,

In Dell Quickset, click on Dell Battery Meter, and uncheck the box that says Disable Battery Charging, and click Ok and restart your computer.

Thank you

Royan

November 12th, 2011 05:00

Hi Royan -- I had tried that last night twice and it didn't work for some reason. I tried it again this morning after leaving the computer off all night and it worked. Thank you for your help. I'll know now what to do if this happens again.

Erin

3.8K Posts

January 15th, 2012 21:00

Hi AlexisP1,

Welcome to the Community. Since the battery is 6 months old, you can contact Dell Technical Support in your region.

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

my latop is a dell xps 15z

2 Posts

Hello, I have the same problem! My laptop is 6 months old and since yesterday, when i plug it, it says plugged in but not charging. and the orange light is flashing nonstop too. My laptop doesnt charge anymore, I'm using windows 7, the battery is only 6 month old and i verified all the battery option and it is supposed to charge! The box ''don't charge when plugged in'' is NOT CHECKED. please help me

1 Message

February 21st, 2012 18:00

Hi I'm having the same problem with my battery, when i click on the battery meter in my control panel the "turn off battery charging" box is unchecked however it still says that battery charging has been disabled under the capacity level, not sure if i'm taking the right steps there is not disable battery charging box.

my laptop is also a XPS 15z

1 Message

March 12th, 2012 00:00

I have an XPS 15z.  It is the 3rd Dell laptop I have had but am very disappointed with the quality.  Had to have it serviced because the case was so sharp around the edges it literally was cutting my hands.  After having a technician come to my house 2 times I eventually had to send it in to the service center and when it came back it was slightly better but still not great.  Now I am having battery problems.  The computer works fine when connected to the A/C charger but when  I unplug it and use battery power only it shuts down almost immediately.  Then it will allow me to reboot but after a couple of minutes it will shut down again.  The battery indicator says battery is 100% full so am not sure what is going on.

1 Message

July 18th, 2012 19:00

I have a same problem, I bought my 15z 10 months ago. Now the battery is 23% and it is not charging. If I unplug, the computer shutdowns  immediately. Please help me.

1 Message

October 21st, 2012 23:00

I'm having the exact same problem. My xps 15z is on boot up saying 'battery temporarily disabled'. I have only had it for 5-6 months. I Plug it in and it says '81% available (plugged in, not charging). Help.

3.3K Posts

October 25th, 2012 00:00

Hi Reuben1999,

Allow me to sincerely apologize for any difficulties you may have encountered in attempting to resolve your concerns. 

One of my colleague has replied to a different post of yours.

I have provided the link to the post.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19449983.aspx

Please reply if you have any further questions.

October 25th, 2012 00:00

It is validating and unfortunate to see so many other XPS 15z owners having the same battery issues that I am having. My battery died completely and would no longer hold a charge even though it was less than a year old.

When the battery is completely dead the laptop will no longer power up. The Dell tech physically disconnected my battery so it would power up. He said I must use my power adapter now if I want to continue using my laptop. Nice resolution!

I searched Dell.com for a Dell replacement battery but they do not offer one. If I buy a 3rd party replacement battery I bet that will void the remainder of my 3 year Dell extended warranty. I am very disappointing that Dell has no clear path to resolution for this issue.

Until now I have been a very happy and loyal Dell customer. As an IT Director I have purchased Dell products exclusively at work and home for well over a decade. Even though the specs on the 15z are excellent, it is the most unreliable Dell laptop I have seen since the Inspiron 3800. I have had a Dell technician work on this laptop at least five times now. Four times to replace the motherboard.

I sincerely hope Dell can find a resolution to this issue. They have always risen to the challenge in the past. Perhaps they should not have rushed the 15z to market to complete with Apple? However, it doesn't take a genius to keep customers happy.

1 Message

November 18th, 2012 03:00

Please where can I find the Dell Quickset on my dell xps 15z.. I have the same problem about a week now and i thought buying a new battery will do but since I came on here and I red what you talk.. I think I have to tried that on my pc too and see if its worked.. My email is  <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Thank you..

1 Message

April 5th, 2013 08:00

It might be a problem related with battery charging IC.

No Events found!