Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

September 6th, 2016 04:00

XPS 9550 BIOS A06 still recommended

For anyone having issues with BIOS updates (up to A12 now), I still recommend you to use BIOS A06, which does at least not have the following two issues:

• Heavy brightness flickering on any brightness level. (Introduced in A10.)
  • Battery does not charge above 60% (Not fully tested, but mine is at 73% now and not charging, thus confirming this report. P.s. this is already a battery replacement) (This was introduced in A12.)

I upgraded to the latest BIOS (A12) in conjunction with the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers just released today (A07), in conjunction with a fresh motherboard and screen replacement. These are most definitely not hardware issues!

While debugging the issue for which I got the hardware replacements (random touch screen input), I also found out that brightness flickering on A12 (did not check A10) primarily occurs while charging. Likewise, it seems that my random touch screen input only occurs while charging. Does anyone else encounter this?

I recommend Dell to rather than wasting resources on product support, hardware replacements, and time of customers, to simply address the real issue here. Contact whoever is in charge of these firmware releases. They are doing a horrendous job implementing them, if not at the very least, properly testing them.

Please let me know once a BIOS version has been released addressing both these issues explicitly. I will no longer upgrade until this happens.

77 Posts

September 6th, 2016 14:00

For anyone having issues with BIOS updates (up to A12 now), I still recommend you to use BIOS A06, which does at least not have the following two issues:

• Heavy brightness flickering on any brightness level. (Introduced in A10.)
  • Battery does not charge above 60% (Not fully tested, but mine is at 73% now and not charging, thus confirming this report. P.s. this is already a battery replacement) (This was introduced in A12.)

I upgraded to the latest BIOS (A12) in conjunction with the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers just released today (A07), in conjunction with a fresh motherboard and screen replacement. These are most definitely not hardware issues!

While debugging the issue for which I got the hardware replacements (random touch screen input), I also found out that brightness flickering on A12 (did not check A10) primarily occurs while charging. Likewise, it seems that my random touch screen input only occurs while charging. Does anyone else encounter this?

I recommend Dell to rather than wasting resources on product support, hardware replacements, and time of customers, to simply address the real issue here. Contact whoever is in charge of these firmware releases. They are doing a horrendous job implementing them, if not at the very least, properly testing them.

Please let me know once a BIOS version has been released addressing both these issues explicitly. I will no longer upgrade until this happens.

totally agree. this thread should by sticky'd

No Events found!