I need help. I have searched everywhere and have tried several things but my XPS12 screen freezes for a short time (5 to 10 secs typically) every few minutes.
- upgraded my Cypress touchpad software to latest as per Dell (22.214.171.124)
- reinstalled my mouse software (running Windows 10 Microsoft mouse software)
- disabled the touchpad palm rejection
Nothing has worked. This problem began after a Microsoft auto update on Jan 29, 2016 (KB3124262).
XPS 12 9Q23
Windows 10 64 bit - up to date with all auto-updates
Thanks for writing to us.
Have you observed if its the system that freezes or only the display?
Can you run an audio file and observe if the file plays when the display freezes, we will have a clear picture whether its the machine or just the display that freezes.
If its just the display, how about on an external monitor?
Please check in safemode as well .
Have you tried updating video drivers ??
Simultaneously you can uninstall the windows update article that is causing the trouble and observe.
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer. I've been swamped with work and not had time to do the research.
I still have my cursor hangup issue (5 to 10 seconds when it occurs) and have done/learned the following;
- I removed the Windows Update that was done about the time my trouble began - no change
- I could not try an external display as I am on the road and don't have another display
- I update my video driver (Intel HD Graphics 4000) from the Intel site - no change
- I tried running an audio clip while working. The audio continues to play during the cursor hangups.
- The hangups appear to occur while accessing the internet. Internal programs with no connection to the internet are not affected. Programs such as Office 365 seem to hang up each time there is an internet action (such as receiving email on Outlook). The hangups also occur on internet connected games but not on local games.
- I tried running in safe mode including selecting "network". None of my internet connected programs including all Office 365 programs will start in this mode.
I've done a bit more in the last few minutes and I'm not sure about the internet only comment - i might be wrong that only internet based programs are affected but it seems the issue is somehow related to internet activity.
I have another possibly important clue. If I keep the laptop lid open and keep the system awake, the problem does not occur. If I close and reopen the lid, the cursor hangups begin.
I have the settings set so closing the lid is supposed to do nothing and as long as plugged in, it is set to never sleep.
I also have encountered this problem since just after the start of this year. Also with the same laptop model, also running windows 10 and also in similar circumstances.
I have had this problem when the laptop has woken up from hibernation or sleep. If the system is restarted the problem goes away. I also find that when internet programs are run (both happens with google chrome and mozilla firefox), it makes things worse in terms of freezing every couple of minutes.
One strange thing to mention, as I have two windows side by side open in the desktop, when the cursor went over the bar to resize the ratio between the two and turns into a sideways arrow, this is when I have had serval (but not all) of the freezes. It also happens in several programs using their toolbar browsers such as file/save as (this happens if internet programs are also open). Could this be possibly linked to explorer?
I am very stumped by this problem and fed up of constantly restarting my laptop.