Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2016 15:00

XPS12 9Q23 Freezing Up for few seconds

I need help. I have searched everywhere and have tried several things but my XPS12 screen freezes for a short time (5 to 10 secs typically) every few minutes.

I have:

- upgraded my Cypress touchpad software to latest as per Dell (2.5.1.72)

- reinstalled my mouse software (running Windows 10 Microsoft mouse software)

- disabled the touchpad palm rejection

Nothing has worked. This problem began after a Microsoft auto update on Jan 29, 2016 (KB3124262).

System is

XPS 12 9Q23

Windows 10 64 bit - up to date with all auto-updates

Cypress trackpad

February 10th, 2016 15:00

Hi Marjimbo, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Have you observed if its the system that freezes or only the display? 

Can you run an audio file and observe if the file plays when the display freezes, we will have a clear picture whether its the machine or just the display that freezes. 

If its just the display, how about on an external monitor? 

Please check in safemode as well . 

Have you tried updating video drivers ??

Simultaneously you can uninstall the windows update article that is causing the trouble and observe. 

Regards

14 Posts

February 10th, 2016 16:00

Thank you Hema for your comments. I'll try those that I can and see if that helps.

February 14th, 2016 19:00

Hi, 

We are awaiting your response.

Regards

February 14th, 2016 19:00

Hi,
We are awaiting your response.

Regards

14 Posts

March 1st, 2016 07:00

Hi Dell-Hema

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer. I've been swamped with work and not had time to do the research.

I still have my cursor hangup issue (5 to 10 seconds when it occurs) and have done/learned the following;

- I removed the Windows Update that was done about the time my trouble began - no change

- I could not try an external display as I am on the road and don't have another display

- I update my video driver (Intel HD Graphics 4000) from the Intel site - no change

- I tried running an audio clip while working. The audio continues to play during the cursor hangups.

- The hangups appear to occur while accessing the internet. Internal programs with no connection to the internet are not affected. Programs such as Office 365 seem to hang up each time there is an internet action (such as receiving email on Outlook). The hangups also occur on internet connected games but not on local games.

- I tried running in safe mode including selecting "network". None of my internet connected programs including all Office 365 programs will start in this mode.

14 Posts

March 1st, 2016 07:00

I've done a bit more in the last few minutes and I'm not sure about the internet only comment - i might be wrong that only internet based programs are affected but it seems the issue is somehow related to internet activity.

14 Posts

March 1st, 2016 09:00

I was able to borrow a monitor and did a hookup from the laptop. The cursor hangup occurs on both the laptop display and the external display.

14 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 06:00

I have another possibly important clue. If I keep the laptop lid open and keep the system awake, the problem does not occur. If I close and reopen the lid, the cursor hangups begin.

I have the settings set so closing the lid is supposed to do nothing and as long as plugged in, it is set to never sleep.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2016 06:00

I also have encountered this problem since just after the start of this year. Also with the same laptop model, also running windows 10 and also in similar circumstances.

I have had this problem when the laptop has woken up from hibernation or sleep. If the system is restarted the problem goes away. I also find that when internet programs are run (both happens with google chrome and mozilla firefox), it makes things worse in terms of freezing every couple of minutes.

One strange thing to mention, as I have two windows side by side open in the desktop, when the cursor went over the bar to resize the ratio between the two and turns into a sideways arrow, this is when I have had serval (but not all) of the freezes. It also happens in several programs using their toolbar browsers such as file/save as (this happens if internet programs are also open). Could this be possibly linked to explorer?

I am very stumped by this problem and fed up of constantly restarting my laptop.

14 Posts

March 19th, 2016 07:00

Hey Standback

Thanks for your input. I have not got any response from my last reports. Hopefully someone will see your input and we might get some feedback.

Marjimbo

1 Message

March 29th, 2016 03:00

There is a known workaround.

Please try to disable Human Interface Device HID Standard Touch Screen

Freezes should stop, unfortunately you have to live without touchscrren until issue is solved :(

Please give feedback if that works for you.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2016 06:00

I will try this. I have updated lots of my software and haven't experienced this for a few days. 

I was wondering where you read about this known workaround? I would like to keep up to date with the discussion on the workaround/issue fix if possible?

Thank you in advance!

14 Posts

March 29th, 2016 07:00

Hi Paponom

I tried this and it appears to work. I have only been working with it for 30 minutes but I have not seen any cursor hangups with the touch screen off, even with closing and opening the lid.

With the touch screen on, if I close and open the laptop lid, the hangups start immediately.

This is an issue though as my family uses the XPS12 for games and touchscreen is a part of many of those games. My work around has been to not shut the lid and have the power set to "Never sleep". That seems to prevent the hang ups as well.

June 25th, 2016 14:00

hi mi english is very bad, i got the solution, go to dell xps support page and change the os  selection to windows 8, there go to mouse and input devices and download the tochscreen firmware, run the .exe, and thats it.

14 Posts

June 26th, 2016 13:00

Dell - do you have any new input on this issue?? I continue to work with the touch screen disabled.

No Events found!