Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

January 13th, 2014 13:00

XPS13-9333 Dual External Monitor Support

Can the new XPS13 (with the 4th Gen i7 and Intel HD4400 chipset) be able to run two external monitors at 1920x1200?

I figured one via miniDP and the other USB3 to DP.

The hardware can do it but I'm want to know if there have been any hardware/firmware restrictions put in place (due to heat control, power usage etc) that would prevent this setup.

January 17th, 2014 12:00

Anyone???

I'd be happy to know if the Dell USB3 dock works with two monitors from this laptop.  

The monitors are DellU2412M's.

January 27th, 2017 09:00

There's theory and practice :-).

The USB-C docking adapters I tried, but failed to make work, were:

Dell WDF15 shipped from Dell with the new XPS13

StartTech USB-C Dual Monitor (MST30C2DPPD)

Pluggable USB-C Triple display (DisplayLink Driver included with Windows 10)

Pluggable USB-C Triple display #2 (bench tested successfully by Plugable support on an XPS13)

Mokin USB-C to HDMI/USB 3.0 adapter

Reports suggest some problems have been rectified by either adjusting the wifi power to 75% which did not work for me - or completely replacing the card with an alternative brand as mentioned above).  It appears there may indeed be a subcomponent (like wifi) that interfers with the USB-C components, causing any USB-C driver to fail.  

FOLLOW UP - Further testing revealed an HDMI interface compatibility issue that may have cascaded to the USB-C docking station causing the dock to cycle.  If true, the root cause would be the HDMI compatibility.

I tested three different Windows10 HDMI monitor configurations that all were known to worked on a mac.

LG Widescreen monitor.  Works as advertised. No cycling behavior.

HANNspree HF257.   Cycled/flickered.

ViewSonic VP201b (required HDMI/DVI adapter).  No Signal

The last two monitors are older but still work on a mac so it seems there is some HDMI compatibility issue.  

Try it first.  The computer may not work with your monitor and if you are not willing to buy another monitor, you will need to return the computer within the 30 day period or you will be in a support system that either is unable or unwilling to provide a remedy.

No Events found!