Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2016 00:00

XPS13 9350 no VGA output via DA200 USB-C dongle

I bought DA200 together with my XPS13, but I cannot get any VGA signal out of it whatsoever. Tried with several screens to no effect. Windows 10 detects no external VGA screen.  The monitor reports no signal.

HDMI works sort of fine, but it is useless for most projectors around.

Help, pleaasee !

(Running preinstalled Windows 10 with recent updates)

5 Posts

February 21st, 2016 13:00

I tested my XPS13 with another Dell dongle (USB-C to VGA only) and it works.  Also I tested another XPS13 with my DA200 dongle, and VGA does not work.  So either DA200 has a problem with Windows 10, or my copy is broken...

5 Posts

March 21st, 2016 05:00

Not a lot of progress on this one sadly.  I have contacted Dell support and they have mailed me a replacement copy of the DA200, but the new copy has exactly the same problem as the old one.  No VGA output whatsoever.  I doubt that this is a hardware issue then.

Any ideas?

5 Posts

April 14th, 2016 00:00

There was a Bios upgrade a few days ago, that I installed yesterday. This got it to work! Dell Command Update now tells me that I am running on BIOS 1.2.3 .

7 Posts

May 12th, 2016 03:00

I have an XPS13 9350 with all driver updates applied via Dell Command Update.  The bios is 1.3.3.  The VGA port on the DA200 still does not work.

1 Message

May 20th, 2016 06:00

I would love to hear the result of this as well. I just got my new Dell XPS15 9550 with the DA200 adaptor. I got the adaptor for the sole reason of using the VGA output, and neither my external monitor or Windows 10 (fully updated, but otherwise what was on the machine to begin with) does not detect a connection at all.

Any resolve so far?

4 Posts

May 27th, 2016 08:00

I also have same issue with my XPS 13 9350. I've logged several calls to tech support, replaced my DA200 and dell has taken control of my laptop several times.

Second last time Dell logged on to my laptop they concluded the DA200 was defective so returned and purchased another one.

Last time Dell logged on to my laptop, yesterday, they concluded the issue is because of the DA200 is usb 3.0 and my laptop is usb 3.1. This surprises me because I would have thought the usb 3.1 would be backward compatible with usb 3.0 .

Now I'm over the 30 day return period so they will not accept the return.

7 Posts

May 27th, 2016 13:00

I know this does not sound logical but I have read hundreds of posts about this issue.  One guy posted some Amazon feedback about the da200 and suggested it would only work for vga if you cold booted the XPS 9350.  Out of desperation I tried this and was amazed to see that it worked

4 Posts

June 11th, 2016 07:00

Tried this and it did not work for me.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2016 12:00

Ended up getting the USB-C to VGA dongle and it works for VGA. Now I don't  have the other ports (Ethernet, HDMI and another USC-3 port.

18 Posts

June 21st, 2016 21:00

Trying lowering the output of the WiFi card to 75%. It fixed the problems for me. I know this sounds crazy, but it works. I hope this works for you. I can explain it later.

6 Posts

July 1st, 2016 17:00

I am having the same problem but with the HDMI output - can you explain how you lower the wifi card output so I can try that?

18 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 07:00

Hi all, Please see this thread. This will fix your DA200 problems. en.community.dell.com/.../20920332 Directions are included. - AJ

7 Posts

July 6th, 2016 01:00

Actually this did not fix it for me.

Since my last post Dell has replaced the main board in the XPS13.  This effectively made no difference whatsoever.

My test VGA monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster E1920 (I don't actually use this monitor but it exhibits the same problem I encounter with most VGA data projectors I find out on the road).  This monitor is not detected via the Dell DA-200 at all.  The monitor even when connected has a message "check signal cable".

If I switch out the DA200 and use a CableCreation USB-C to VGA dongle the "check signal cable" message disappears even before I plug the dongle into my USB-C port.  The VGA monitor will work with the CableCreation USB-C to VGA dongle but the screen turns off and on every 10-20 seconds.  Following a suggestion on another thread I disabled bluetooth.  This fixed the turning off and on issue with the CableCreation USB-C to VGA dongle.  The DA200 still does not work.  I have tried it with bluetooth disabled and the the power output of the wifi card set to 75%.

18 Posts

July 6th, 2016 07:00

Strange...worked for like 90% of people having the issue. Make sure your bios is up to date (1.4.4 - release notes show it has supposedly fixed USB-C stability) and update to the new thunderbolt software and then firmware. Update the DRIVER first, then the FIRMWARE.

Just as yet another troubleshooting step, try a different VGA cable if possible. 

-AJ

October 13th, 2016 05:00

did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue. All drives, and firmware are up-to-date. Monitor, and VGA cable works on my other laptop.  

No Events found!