Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2012 03:00

blue Fn key unlock

How can I unlock the blue Fn-key on my laptop Inspiron 1501?

3.8K Posts

July 16th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. The FN key cannot be locked or unlocked, it is turned on by default on this model. Do you mean your function keys are not working? Like holding the FN key and the Up arrow key increases the brightness on the LCD? For this you will need to have Dell Quickset installed. Use the below link to install it.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Thank you

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 23:00

Actually the function key is locked somehow, so I am not able to key regular letters without fn key press.

I want to unlock the fn key. 

Please help me.

1.8K Posts

November 24th, 2012 00:00

Hi Jun an,

Please check if the Fn key is stuck on the keyboard. If not, from Dell Quickset utility you can change the Fn key behavior from function keys to mutimedia keys. In some systems Fn key behavior can be changed from system BIOS as well. It will be a great help, If you can provide me the system model and the Operating system installed on your computer. 

Please reply with the information. 

3 Posts

November 24th, 2012 14:00

I am using Inspiron 1501.

I tried to change the BIOS, but not working. Actually I do not know all the BIOS change.

The Quickset utility is not working either.

The fn key is working with numbers on letters, such as j,k,l,;,u,i,o,p, and so on.

Pelase reply me.

1.8K Posts

November 28th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Could you please elaborate the issue.

Are you not able to use the above keys on keyboard without pressing the Fn button?

Connect an external USB keyboard with the computer and see if it works. Another step you can try is to check the keyboard functionality in safe mode and see if it exhibits the same behavior there as well. 

• Restart the computer.
  • Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
  • Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the key.
  • Select the user account at the log in screen.
  • Try using your computer and see if the issue persists there. 

In case of keyboard, you can disconnect the USB keyboard connected with laptop and then use an Onscreen keyboard to see if the issue persists with that as well. 

To use On screen keyboard:

• Choose Start/Windows logo → Control Panel → Ease of Access → Ease of Access Center.
  • Click the Start On-Screen Keyboard button.
  • Test out the on-screen keyboard input in any application where you can enter text.
  • Click Options, select the Turn on numeric key pad check box, and then click OK.
  • Open a notepad and try typing on that by clicking on the keys of On screen keyboard.

Note: To use keystroke combinations (such as Ctrl+Z), click the first key (in this case, Ctrl) and then click the second key (Z). You don’t have to hold down the first key as you do with a regular keyboard.

Please reply with findings. 

3 Posts

November 28th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

The same problem persists with the Safe Mode with Networking
I do not have any problem with the On-screen keyboard.
Thanks,
Jun

1 Message

November 29th, 2012 11:00

it is a simple case of NUMLOCK.

once you press your NUMLOCK button on the top of the keyboard, then you should be able to type regular letters instead of numbers.

there is nothing wrong with your blue fn key.

hope this helps.

1.8K Posts

November 30th, 2012 01:00

Hi Jun an,

You can try step suggested by 'Vibes1234' and see if it works. In addition to this, can try pressing Fn and then num lock key and see if it works.

@Vibes1234 - Thank you for assisting the customer. 

1 Message

March 20th, 2015 13:00

I had this happen to me and tried everything, but ended up being a very simple fix.   Click on Num Lock.   It's the same key that in blue says Scroll Lock.  But do not hit the Function key and scroll lock at the same time.  ONLY hit the Num Lock key by itself.  

1 Message

March 31st, 2015 08:00

Ha ha ha That was great! Good keyboarding.. should have told him to jump on one foot while he did it though... would have been much funnier.. NSS

No Events found!