Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2012 19:00

Check the Dell service tag number?

I just bought a laptop Dell 5520 with service tag : When I check the service tag here, it shows:"There is no configuration information associated with this system"?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 14th, 2012 19:00

I tried it here and it worked. Then tried your link and it showed the laptop. Are you registered and logged in? I don't think it is refurbished because it has a year left on warranty.

3.3K Posts

September 14th, 2012 23:00

Hi quanact,

I will check the system details and help you with the system configuration, I request you to private message system service tag number, Owners name and contact number. To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 15th, 2012 05:00

Dell have been having issues with original system configuration for the last past year. I have complained to them about it as several systems it gives the same results as yours that used to work fine. They are apparently re-entering alot of the information in manually and so it may take some time till its working with all systems as it once did.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 15th, 2012 06:00

Yes it works for some tags and not others.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 15th, 2012 06:00

But it worked okay when I tried it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 15th, 2012 07:00

Philip, his tag worked. He originally posted on the Laptop Audio board where I saw and used the tag before it was removed.

3 Posts

September 15th, 2012 18:00

Hi Jimco! my service tag not show original configuration.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 15th, 2012 19:00

That is what I see too under the System Configuration tab. Are you just worried that the laptop might have been refurbished?

Sorry Philip, obviously I misunderstood the problem. Question: If the Product Support page is showing a year left on the warranty, wouldn't that mean the laptop is not a refurb, or could the previous owner have gotten an extended warranty on a refurb?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 16th, 2012 02:00

Where did you buy the laptop from? Direct from Dell or Dell Outlet or a third party seller?

Dell Outlet Computers are refurbished sometimes and have the full warranties. Third party sellers sometimes have refurbished units with warranties also, not sure how it works. However if it is bought direct from Dell (not Dell Outlet) it is likely to be new.

3 Posts

September 16th, 2012 04:00

I bought it at a third party seller, so that i want to check it

No Events found!