Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2013 00:00

dell inspiron n5110 bios update failure

Hi,I was performing a BIOS update on Dell Inspiron N5110 to Latest bios version,  when the laptop became inactive plus the fan started to run at full speed. i could not even switch off the machine by pressing the power button. At the end i had to pull out AC cord and battery.Now its dead
(No activity at all). how can i restore bios???

dell inspiron N5110

service tag:

December 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hi yassine78,

Please refrain from posting your personal or system information on open Forum.

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below

1. Switch off the computer.

2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall.

3. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.

Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to switch ON the system

If you are able to turn on the system. Please try to run diagnostics.

http://bit.ly/11rpNTs

Please reply with your findings.

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 23:00

when i press power power button it just turn on but nothing happen, screen dead, no display and i can't boot with nothing

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 04:00

Did the BIOS update complete, or did it fail (or freeze, meaning you had to power the system off before receiving a "successful completion" message?

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 05:00

the update stopped and freeze and i had to pull of the batery after long time, and now when i press power nothing happen just turn little time without any display, screen dead, i tried to force recovery with flah pen cd nothing boot and no display, the screen always off :(

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 07:00

You have two options:

Contact a shop that can unsolder the BIOS chip, flash it externally and resolder it, or

Replace the mainboard with a new one.

If you can replace a board yourself, it's likely to cost about the same - $150-200 -- for either option.  If you have to pay to have a board replaced, sending the system off for a chip reflash will likely be the cheaper option - $150-200 vs. that plus another $100 or so to have the board replaced.

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 11:00

there's a solution to force boot or something like that to reset bios?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 13:00

That only works in a very few cases - from the sound of it, your system is dead enough that there's no way to get it to recognize anything - meaning an external flash or board replacement is needed.

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 14:00

thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2015 12:00

Solution fo recovery bios Dell N5110

1. Download the latest firmware from the Dell support
2. Save the exe and create a shortcut with the following parameter: " /writehdrfile"
3. Start the created shortcut and it will create a n5110a11.hdr file rename the file to N5110.hdr
4. Create a shortcut exe file with the following parameter: " /writeromfile"
5. Start the created shortcut and it will create a n5110a11.rom file rename the file to DQ15A11.rom
6. Copy both file "N5110.hdr" and "DQ15A11.rom" to a FAT formatted pendrive's root folder
7. Remove the charger and Battery from the laptop
8. Plug In the pendrive
9. Press & hold END
10. Connect the charger (still hold END)
11. The notebook starts automatically and shows the recovery screen
12. Press enter and wait until finish the flashing
13. Press esc to restart
14. Hopefully problem solved

1 Message

July 31st, 2015 13:00

@DOMINOSX: Dude You Beauty!! it Worked perfectly !! Genius Mate!! 

12 Posts

July 31st, 2015 16:00

i have fat32 format not fat.. copied the 2 files .. power buttom open but screen is always off

12 Posts

July 31st, 2015 17:00

power buttom work .. but always screen is off

1 Message

December 26th, 2015 05:00

Hi, wondering if you can give me some advise. My Vostro 3700 get bricked recently due to the Win10 auto update thing. Google around and you will get it that random Dell PC will get bricked for that, and unluckily I am one of them.

For some reasons, the update failure seems to mess up my BIOS setting, and now the PC completely unbootable (don't even POST, completely black screen when powered on). Though after I remove RAM/HDD and everything, it still showing some signs of being alive (the beep codes), so I reckon if I am able to reflash the BIOS, it may come back alive.

I search around the net and seems like your suggestion is the most similar and probable solution to my problem - reflash a bricked AMI BIOS.

Currently I am stuck at the point of renaming the file. Do you have any idea on how should I rename both the HDR and ROM file so it will work with my system? BTW the BIOS.exe file I downloaded is named as "3700A12.EXE". Also, should I format the flash drive to "FAT" or "FAT32"?

Much thanks for any suggestions.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2016 22:00

I still have warrenty on it so can i send it back to dell

1 Message

June 19th, 2016 18:00

Great!!!

I've the same problem with Inspiron N5050. You should rename file to n5050.hdr and DQ15A05.rom when newest rom is A05. Thanks!

No Events found!