Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2013 13:00

dell xps 12

I just received my dell xps 12 haswell updated model a few days ago and am having some trouble with it. The biggest issue is the touchpad. i am not sure if it is a driver issue, although i have updated several times, but it seems to have a mind of its own. whenever i am scrolling the page will jump around and glitch constantly. it is very unreliable, especially for the price that this computer cost. The second gripe i have about all of this is the lack of removable media to re-install windows 8 cleanly. i know im not alone when i say i hate bloatware, so an option to reset everything would be absolutely great.

any help is greatly appreciated!

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 14:00

Hi there, I haven't had time to do respond yet but I actually solved this issue. All I had to do was install the drivers and synaptic software and turn the sensitivity all the way up. This completely resolves the touch pad issue and I have had a much better experience since I did so. 

Edit: Turn down the touch pressure all the way, making it extra sensitive. this should solve the problem of jumpy scrolling.

August 6th, 2013 14:00

Hi Dougb2,

XPS 12 comes in different variants like XPS 9Q23, 9Q33 and L221x. Please share the exact system model.

Also please check the touchpad functionality in safe mode. You may refer to the below link for steps.

http://dell.to/172xwY4

You may uninstall the touchpad driver completely from the device manager and reinstall the latest drivers from the link provided in the signature below.

On the link, enter the system Service Tag and click on ‘Continue’. Select the operating system and it will display a list of available downloads.

You will find the touchpad driver listed under Mouse, Keyboard and Input devices.

Dell does not ship media with the system anymore; however you can create a recovery media of your own using the Dell Backup and Recovery application.

For more information, click on the link http://dell.to/191mWml

For alternative options, please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's/Company's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation).

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 13:00

I have the Dell XPS 12 (9Q33) and have the exact same issue. An engineer came and replaced the entire keyboard and touchpad earlier, so I can confirm it isn't a hardware issue. Support remotely reinstalled the drivers last week, which also didn't affect the issue.

The next step in support is going to be a factory reset, which is becoming increasingly clear will not help. I did some experimenting today, and found out that if you install the Synaptics unbranded driver, there is no such issue. Unfortunately, it's not just as simple as that, as you also lose two-finger tap for right-click and the two-finger scrolling doesn't feel as nice as the Dell-branded driver (when it works, that is).

On the plus side, it's good to know that this is a driver issue and may be resolved, but it's also quite disheartening to see that no one at Dell is confirming the issue. If they still refuse to confirm the issue, I may just have to take the machine back and go with a more reliable vendor. This is a shame, as otherwise I really like the machine :(

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 14:00

When you say turn the sensitivity up, which setting do you mean? The touch pressure in the touchpad settings? I'll give that a go!

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 15:00

Hi there, I haven't had time to do respond yet but I actually solved this issue. All I had to do was install the drivers and synaptic software and turn the sensitivity all the way up. This completely resolves the touch pad issue and I have had a much better experience since I did so. 

Ok, wow, turning the touch pressure down (i.e. turning the sensitivity up) seems to have made a huge difference... Hard to tell whether it's fixed yet, but it certainly seems like it. Thanks for the advice! I really hope Dell fix their driver, but this is already a lot better :)

4 Posts

That's my bad, you want to turn the touch pressure all the way down making it very sensitive. This should fix the issue and there is no noticeable difference in the way the touch pad works 

4 Posts

that is very strange. you may want to reinstall all of the drivers just to be sure. When i am on tablet mode with the touch pressure all the way down the touchpad is disabled as it should be. i would simply try to uninstall, restart, then reinstall the drivers and see if that fixes the problem

4 Posts

Unfortunately, it seems that turning the touch pressure right down causes the touchpad to get triggered while in tablet mode... Perhaps there's a happy medium here, I don't see why the touchpad even remains enabled in that case though :/

No Events found!