Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2009 15:00

how do i get into my laptop tjhat is password protected in the bio and i don't know it

how do i get into a laptop with bios password that i don't have? i just got this at a yard sale and they don't have a clue???

650 Posts

There are no jumpers on laptops.

I stand corrected. :emotion-5:

650 Posts

how do i get into a laptop with bios password that i don't have? i just got this at a yard sale and they don't have a clue???

You would have to open the laptop and look for a small jumper located somewhere on the motherboard.  Next to the jumper, you will see something like "Password" or "PWD".  Remove that jumper and the password should be erased.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

algilbert  

The only way I can think of, to remove a laptop BIOS password, without contacting Dell, is to either replace the BIOS chip, or install a new motherboard. 

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

algilbert  

To obtain a password, you need to contact Dell and prove that you are the legal owner of the laptop.

You may find a better answer posting this in, the Laptop forum HERE, this is for Desktop systems.

Bev.

14.4K Posts

You would have to open the laptop and look for a small jumper located somewhere on the motherboard.  Next to the jumper, you will see something like "Password" or "PWD".  Remove that jumper and the password should be erased.

There are no jumpers on laptops. The bios password is a security method as laptops are easily stolen. Without the password the system is useless to a thief.

As Bev pointed out only Dell can provide the "Master Password" or key sequence to access the bios. But you have to prove that you are the legal owner.

121 Posts

July 7th, 2009 11:00

The BIOS chip on newer laptops, cannot be "pulled" like they used to be able to. Besides, finding a replacement, is virtually impossible as it must come from Dell, or a Dell supplier.

The only true way to reset a BIOS password, is to prove positive ownership to Dell tech support, and they will give you the overide command, to remove it.

JC

2.2K Posts

July 7th, 2009 12:00

Just for the record, Dell will charge for the help  if the machine is no longer under warranty. As others have said, the first hurdle is proving ownership, which may be difficult on a yard sale purchase.

No Events found!