Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

October 12th, 2008 14:00

internet explorer message box won't go away

I have a box on my screen that I can't get rid of. Any ideas on how I can make it go away.   It says this:   This page has an unspecified potential security risk, would you want to continue?

thanks, Dave

3.4K Posts

October 12th, 2008 21:00

@dustynostrils wrote:

It is actually a box in the middle of the screen, but will not let me close it or x it out.  Is there some way to dump it in the computer some where?  When it came up last night I have not been able to get rid of it.

Hello,

Huumm? I would run a virus scan ASAP.

This does not sound like any IE message, or any message from Windows. What were you doing when it came up? What site?

Message Edited by Thereal-dbk4297 on 10-12-2008 03:34 PM

It is actually a box in the middle of the screen, but will not let me close it or x it out.  Is there some way to dump it in the computer some where?  When it came up last night I have not been able to get rid of it.

thanks, Dave

I wish I could remember the site. For sure I was listening to a radio program on infowars, but it played fine.  Now that I think about it, doing some research (browsing) the windows went nuts and kept popping up--maybe 50 of them--had trouble closing them out.  Maybe that one window is from that mess.

This page has an unspecified security risk is what it says and asks if I want to continue.  Wish I could kill that small box.

453 Posts

Is it an actual diaolog box or does that appear in the browser?  If it appears in the browser you should be presented with 2 options one is a red X that sas either don't contiunue or in your case most likely it says continue to the website and the green balloon with checkmark most likely says close the stie.  You have to click on one of thoses to go any further.  If it's an actual pop up box the box should have buttons that let you do something with it.

453 Posts

October 12th, 2008 22:00

Just a final suggestion so that you don't get into this type of situation again where IE doesn't even work at all without the box popping up or another error/problem download a free browser to use as a backup heck you might like it better than IE.  Firefox and Apple's Safari for Windows are free to download.  Google is working on a browser called Chrome but it's still in beta so use caution when installing it. 

Thanks a lot.  I ran a virus scan and it thinks everything is fine. I will get firefox, it's a good suggestion.  Can you think of a way to get the ie box to go away?  Really annoying.  Thanks for all your help.

3.4K Posts

Hello again,

Virus. Think VIRUS.

What antivirus program do you use?

And you might consider using Firefox instead or IE. Much more secure, and you would not have had to deal with all those popups.

I must repeat. Check your system for a VIRUS.

453 Posts

October 12th, 2008 23:00

You can also try to run a spyware scan as well if that comes up empty or if after removing the spyware the box doesn't go away go to Internet Options and run the RIES Reset Internet Explorer Settings in IE7.  If you have IE 6 you can try upgrading to IE 7 but otherwise go to add/remove windows components and remove then reinstall IE. 

3.4K Posts

October 12th, 2008 23:00

@dustynostrils wrote:
Thanks a lot.  I ran a virus scan and it thinks everything is fine. I will get firefox, it's a good suggestion.  Can you think of a way to get the ie box to go away?  Really annoying.  Thanks for all your help.

Hello again,

have you tried right clicking on it and choosing "delete"?

BTW

You use the accepted answer button to chose which 'answer' fixed your problem. Not, your reply that it's fixed.

29 Posts

October 13th, 2008 04:00

If you could tell us what OS you're using, and what the pop-up says exactly it would help out.  There are many ad programs which can cause what you described.  With the pop-up on the screen, close internet explorer, do a control-alt-delete and look through your running tasks, see if there is an iexplorer.exe process running or maybe some other *.exe running that you'd don't recognize.  It's most likely a third party program that is just accessing ie.

Go into control panel, add/remove programs and go through the list, remove stuff you don't recognize and do google searches on anything suspicious to see what it is.

Next make sure messanger service is turned off (on XP and prior OS):  goto Start>Run> type: msconfig.  Goto the services tab and scroll down to messenger service, and make sure its disabled.  If it's not disable it.

Go to www.download.com and download the latest versions of adaware, and spybot, update those and run them independently, you can delete pretty much anything it finds unless its related to whatever virus propgram you're using.

Update to the latest internet explorer, and make sure you have a pop-up blocker enabled, a good one that doesn't take up much resources is the google toolbar.  Just type "toolbar" in google.

Assuming your virus program is up to date and you didn't find anything it's most likely not a virus and probably an ad program.  If none of those solutions work look at the header of the pop up, or the name of the program or link it wants you to go to....do a google search with the term remove (insert pop-up) and you should get some good info, some worms add pop-ups too.

Make sure you have windows firewall turned on, assuming you don't use a third party one.  Also make sure you have the latest security updates for windows.

Message Edited by LAPD77 on 10-13-2008 12:45 AM

20.5K Posts

October 13th, 2008 15:00

Installing a new browser will not get rid of the infection if it is on your system. Not only that, but if there is a vulnerability on the system, that needs to be taken care of, or you may become infected again.
We see this type of malware all the time on Dell's HijackThis and Virus & Spyware Boards. Try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. If that does not clean it, we will need to address the particular variant with a specialized tool, so below I'm adding a link to the HijackThis Board.

Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here
Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • If you are still having problems and/or would like a follow-up check to be sure the infection as well as vulnerabilities are gone, copy and paste the entire report into a New Message on the HijackThis Board. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.
    1. Just click the New Message button in the HijackThis forum here: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack
    to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.
    2. In the Message Body window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

October 14th, 2008 02:00

Thank you guys very much.  Obviously I'm not a proficient computer user, so I appreciate the help. What I did was download internet explorer 8 and the pop up went away. Maybe I took the easy way out, but heck, I can't even figure out how to post here that I was helped and found a solution.  Someone explained it once, but I don't get it. 

These forums are great, although for a not so good computer person, to me at least, seems difficult.

Thanks again everyone,

Dave

No Events found!