Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2013 08:00

m90 hard disk repair/password issue

Awhile back I ask about a vista repair problem but hit a dead end. I am revisiting this with new information in hopes to find help.

160 gig hd in an m90 laptop. Can not get into safe mode. If I try to  get into the repair area from boot I get to the enter password, which even though I have the password, it will not go. It says either the domain does not exist or the password is incorrect.

I took the sata drive out and  put it into another computer of mine(xp) and was able to chkdsk, defrag and get into any folder that is on the sata drive.

Since the sata drive is vista, does anyone know how and where to either clear the passwords or delete them or where the file is to fix this. Is there a freeware program I can run on my xp machine that can look at the sata drive(drive g:) and fix this?

I do not have any thing other than the diags disk that came with the m90.

Is there a ddl file that might be corrupted that I could download and repair. I can get into the system 32 folder on the problem drive.

When I look at the drives listed on the xp computer I can see the recovery partitioned 2gig (drive f: )

Could I download this to a flash drive and boot from it after reinstalling the drive back on the m90?

If I have to I can download the files and pictures on the drive then format it but don't have a vista disk .

Thanks for any help

Wyndham

11 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 09:00

Bump with a simplified question

If I copy the Vista recovery partition from the corrupted laptop vista drive to a flash drive, can I boot and start the repair for the corrupted vista on the laptop drive Is or better yet how to

I can read all the files.

Or can I copy the boot file from the recovery partition to the corrupted drive to get it to boot

Thanks Wyndham

1.5K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 10:00

Hi Wyndham,

Please run diagnostics on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

If it is asking for the password during Startup Repair, please check if your username or any other username is listed there. Also, try leaving the password blank and check. Copying the recovery partition to a USB Flash drive and using it will not work. You will need the Windows re-installation disk to perform clean installation.

Please share the system Service Tag and Owner's Name via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check for the options for sending the disk in your region.

Please reply with the information.

No Events found!