Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 25th, 2016 18:00

slow internet loading, slow youtube response: Dell 5558

Hello, I have a Dell 5558 Inspiron.  the internet is very slow to load.  My wife has a macbook pro that runs circles around my PC for web browsing.  I have tried various tricks to minimize startup functions and background apps.  is this a hardware issue that can be upgraded?  would upgrading the GPU, upgrading to SSD, or adding more RAM help?

April 25th, 2016 20:00

also, this unit has an intel AC-3160 wifi card.  can this be upgraded or adjusted to work better?

2 Posts

December 15th, 2016 23:00

I also have a 5558 that is painfully slow. The internet is slow to load, as is everything else. This laptop has been slow since the day it arrived. I'd also appreciate any advice that anyone has on this. Thanks.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2016 03:00

You modem/router probably doesn't have the best antenna. Your wife's MacBook might have a stronger receiver than your Inspiron. I would try to get a new modem/router combo that has a higher range. 

Also, is the Internet slow when you're close to your router or it usually slows down when you're on the other side of your house?

247 Posts

January 1st, 2017 05:00

If your using 5Ghz band and not 2.4 Ghz your going to have limited range and speeds will drop off quickly. If your going to be away from router very far like in another room. Your better off with 2.4 Ghz.

I have the Intel 3160 and it works pretty well but make sure to have the latest drivers, maybe even try the Intel drivers. If you really want good 5 Ghz performance and range you need external antenna's on router. It's possible your antenna lead is disconnected on your notebook card, so you may want to check that if 2.4 ghz is just as bad for signal quality.

No Events found!