Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 17th, 2017 23:00

upgrading my M.2 SATA 128GB SSD to Samsung 250GB PCIe/NVMe) SSD failed? help needed

My laptop: Inspiron 15 5577 gaming laptop with intel chip (7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.8 GHz))

1. I disk cloned my 128GB M.2 SATA ssd drive using Macrium Reflect (v6.3.1812) by boot up using USB jump drive. 128GB clone->500GB thru usb 3.0 connection.  After the clone, I checked and see that all partitions are cloned successfully.

2. I swapped out my 128GB for Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO; I boot up using Macrium Reflect to clone my Samsung NVMe SSD  from my external usb 3.0 500 GB; after the clone, I disconnected all external devices and tried to boot up from Samsung NVMe ssd.  BUT IT FAILED.

I received the following error messages:

Rom image is not loaded

Rom image update denied.

Please let me know if someone had done this.

Thank you very much.

spjrc

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 18th, 2017 07:00

What mode is system set for - AHCI or RAID?

33 Posts

June 18th, 2017 11:00

Do you know where I can get the information on the DELL's 5 partitions?  There are *:ESP, *:, C:OS, G:WINRETOOLS, H:Image, I: DELLSUPPORT. Why so complicated :)????

33 Posts

June 18th, 2017 11:00

I just checked the bios.  It is set to AHCI.

Thank you.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 18th, 2017 12:00

Do you know where I can get the information on the DELL's 5 partitions?  There are *:ESP, *:, C:OS, G:WINRETOOLS, H:Image, I: DELLSUPPORT. Why so complicated :)????

There is one partition you do not list and cannot normally see unless you check with Diskpart.

How the recovery system works depends on the partitions on the drive.  Each one has some special purpose on the system.  The drive can hold 256 partitions, I believe, so 5 or 6 is not a big thing.

You can recover a new drive to the factory condition by using a Win 10 recovery drive.

The ability to use the Samsung NVMe drives has varied depending of the Bios on each system.  I do not know if your system is capable of using a NVMe drive being run in that configuration.  Most of the systems seem to arrive with an NVMe drive being used with the SATA controller and needed a Bios upgrade to make it possible.

I don't use Macrium so no experience with how it works.

33 Posts

June 18th, 2017 13:00

Thank you for your info on the partitions.  Yes, my system supports (I read it in its setup manual) NVMe ssd up to 512GB.  However, I just noticed that there is a new bios version for my laptop and I am going to try to upgrade to that version of bios; and see whether this issue can be resolved; otherwise, I will return this ssd.

33 Posts

ejn63 - I just read the answer from macrium.com.  I don't believe I have a multiple boot issue here.  I am guessing here - I think the issue has to do with the security of its Image partition because the error messages are saying - ROM IMAGE IS NOT LOADED AND ROM IMAGE UPDATE DENIED.

BTW - I have contacted the DELL tech support and they are saying that they are not support this type of issue.  I need to contact the Dell Tech Concierge team which I have to pay for this service.

Thank you once again.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You may want to see here:

forum.macrium.com/Topic10322.aspx

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 18th, 2017 14:00

If you want to know if the system supports a NVMe Samsung drive, trying doing a clean install of Win 10.  When in AHCI mode the system will usually install fine, but when rebooting to complete the install, it fails with a no boot device message.

You do not need to finish the Win 10 install, just make sure it will reboot correctly after the initial install.

33 Posts

June 18th, 2017 14:00

Yes, I agree with your suggestion.  In fact, I am thinking of doing the following -

1. Create Windows 10 recovery media for my Dell computer.

2. Swap the my M.2 SATA ssd with sunsumg 960 evo NVMe ssd

3. then perform "reset or reinstall Windows 10 on my dell computer"

Since I just received my laptop on 6/14/2017, I can play around with it :).

Hopefully, this resolves this issue.  This is my last try, if it does not work, I will return my EVO NVMe SSD to the microcenter.

Thank you all for all the help.

33 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 07:00

latest update - setup my samsung 960 evo M.2 NVMe SSD has been successful.

Warning - you must disconnect your HDD first (either thru software or hardware).  I disconnected my HDD connector in the mother board.

1. use Macrium Reflect disk imaging and backup (free version - version 6.3 build 1821) to clone my M.2 SATA SSD to another external HDD using USB 3.0.

2. Install my Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD (256GB) - essentially swapped out my old M.2 SSD.

3. Clone SSD from my HDD.

4. here comes the fun part :) - download the following - DellOSRecoveryTool.msi, 2DF4FA00_W10x64ROW_pro(DL)_v3.iso.

5 make a usb bootable and then use F12 to boot up the USB DRIVE.

6. Do a recovery with all files intact.

=======================

disclaimer - I am not responsible for any problems you are having.  I just want to share my idea here.

Please feel free to add your comments.

BTW - many thanks to the people who had commented my original post.

No Events found!