Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

August 19th, 2022 07:00

10 Latitude 5530 laptops showing instability - power, screen locking, EventID 12, USBAudio

Latitude 5530

Latitude 5530

Hello,

We purchased 10 Latitude 5530's and so far every single one of them has strange issues.

Some people are reporting when they are in the office and they lock the screen, they get a BSOD and system reboots.  I cannot find a minidump or memory dump file on their hard drive to analyze with WinDbg so I can't tell you what the BSOD is happening in.

Another issue is USB Headset audio and connectivity issues.  We did track down the USB microphone cutting in and out on various Poly USB-C and USB 2.0 headets by disabling the Intel Smart Audio USB device ( PS: Disable-PnPDevice -InstanceId 'INTELAUDIO\CTLR_DEV_51C8&LINKTYPE_06&DEVTYPE_06&VEN_8086&DEV_AE50&SUBSYS_0B061028&REV_0001\0602' -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue;)

Now I'm hearing reports that some people have their screens locked randomly and have to unlock them.  Or random reboots.  This is not just a one time thing.  There are many issues like this across all 10 laptops.

I also see this System event log spammed every second 
Event ID:12 Source: UserModePowerSerivce
Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:1532) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

We do not have these issues on Dell Latitude 5520's.

There is something terribly wrong with the Windows 10 Pro image shipped on the 5530's.  An in place upgrade from the same Windows 10 21H2 over top of the system seems to resolve the event log spamming.  We are going to completely repartition the drive and install Windows 10 pro 21H2 from USB 3.0  media and start fresh.

One thing people seem to say is they have more problems in the office then when they work from home.  The only real difference is in the office they are USB-C connected to Dell P2422HE monitors and have an ethernet connection.  At home they are connected to the same model monitor but they are using wifi.

1 Message

August 19th, 2022 07:00

I can just chime in on one of the issues, though my system is an XPS 15 9520 with Windows 11 I am also experiencing trouble with an external USB audio interface which frequently drops out causing some applications that use it to hang and audio stops working until I disconnect and reconnect it. When it stops working it still shows in the device manager and is reported to work fine. I also see the same exact frequent event in the log:

Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:1904) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

It comes in bursts, sometimes up to three in a second and up to 20 in a minute.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

August 19th, 2022 10:00

We think the Dell image is messed up.  So we formatted but we had to sideload the Dell / Intel ISRT driver to see the drive.  On a brand new Win 10 install it bluescreens inaccessable_boot_device after the install.  BRAND NEW!

So in the BIOS you have to change it from ISRT to NVME and then it works fine.

I wonder if these were designed for Windows 11 and Windows 10 on them are an afterthought.  Because even after a clean install and then drivers from Dell.com/support, that power event log still spams. Were going to let it run and see if its more stable though.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

August 19th, 2022 14:00

We just realize we are seeing that event ID every single time there's interaction with the computer.  Every single keystroke for example throws that event ID.  Write a 400 character entry, check your event log, 400 new events.

I double checked a brand new batch of Optiplex 5090 towers and they did not exhibit the issue.

I checked a Precision tower thats about 2 years old.... just fine.

I have a Precision tower thats about 4 years old, thats fine too.

This seems to only occur on these laptops.  Even with a fresh Windows 10 install.

August 23rd, 2022 07:00

Have experienced BSOD's with 1 Latitude 5431 and 1 Latitude 5531. Never before with the 5421/5420 or 5411/5410.

It would manifest after having provisioned a laptop to a user and after said user having logged in for the first time. Several BSOD in a row even.
I installed Windows 10 21H2 from stick (BIOS Storage from RAID to NVMe!) and then ran a Shift-F10 box starting a PS script to update all patches and drivers, then handed out the laptop again. No more BSOD.
So reinstalling works, it is just a lot of extra work right when we are replacing our old 5480 stock with new laptops.... I hope the factory image gets fixed.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

August 25th, 2022 07:00

We wiped two and installed Windows 10 21H2 from stick as well, but this still happens with every keystroke in the event log:

Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:1904) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

This doesn't give me a good feeling about this model.  Unfortunately we discarded the boxes for all 10 of these, otherwise they'd all be going back.

Heres a more thorough guide of resolving the USB audio issues:

1. Go up to View -> Show Hidden Devices
  2. Go down to Sound, video, and game controllers and right-click Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio and click “Uninstall” (Be sure to “Uninstall” any hidden or ghost objects in Device Manager).
  3. Right click Poly Blackwire 3325 Series and click “Uninstall” (Be sure to “Uninstall” any hidden or ghost objects in Device Manager).
  4. Now; navigate up to Audio inputs and outputs and right click any Poly Blackwir 3325 Series and click “Uninstall” (Be sure to “Uninstall” any hidden or ghost objects in Device Manager).
  5. Now, go to dell.com/support and download the latest version of the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver. Run it as Administrator and reboot.
  6. Upon startup it will ask to re-install, just run through it and click Next Next finish, reboot again.
  7. Install PlantronicsHubInstaller.exe and run as administrator.  If it asks click uninstall and rerun it to re-install.
  8. Open Device Manager (as Administrator) and scroll down to Sound, video, and game controllers and right click Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio and click Disable.
  9. DON!

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

August 25th, 2022 10:00

Im getting reports of people lock their screen and when they unlock they get a blue scree "Windows didn't load correctly" and the system reboots.

What is the fastest way to remediate this?  Change it from I-SRT to NVMe mode, or do we really have to wipe the whole machine (what a hassle).

September 6th, 2022 07:00

...and replying on my own post, although the 5531 (with i5-H CPU) seems to work fine with a new image, the 5431 (with i5-P CPU) keeps crashing with multiple times BSOD 1 "driver verifier dma violation", BSOD 2 "memory management" and an application error in Windows "The instruction at 0x00007FF7E010DDD0 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be written. 

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

September 9th, 2022 07:00

This is still an ongoing issue.

It does a quick BSOD and automatic system restart.  The BSOD is so quick we cannot see what it says.  The system is NOT creating a minidump.dmp file like it should.

When they unlock the computer, it does this within 3 minutes.

When at home they dont experience it becuase when working from home alone, they dont lock the screen as much.

This happens on the factory image or even on a fresh Windows 10 Pro 21H2 install without any Dell bloatware installed.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

October 4th, 2022 07:00

We told windows to NOT automatically restart on a system crash so we could look at the BSOD.  The thing is it doesn't seem to be doing a BSOD.  After the user unlocks the screen from lunch for example, a minute or two goes by and it just restarts.  It immedialty goes to the DELL screen.  Doesn't matter if its Windows 10 or Windows 11.

We found a solution to that event ID that spams the system event logs hundreds of times.  You have to disable the Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning Technology Device Extention Component (found under Software Components in device manager).  A powershell to do this is:
Disable-PnpDevice -InstanceId 'SWD\DRIVERENUM\{BC7814A1-A80E-44B3-87C6-652EAC676387}#DTTEXTCOMPONENT&4&9AE1E4C&0'

Put that in a login script because the system will randomly re-enable it, or if you delete the device it will randomly put it back.  Anyway now the system event log is pretty clean.  Im not sure if this will help with random restarts but fingers crossed.

I also have one person testing using the laptops AC adapter in conjunction with their Dell P2422-HE monitor usb-c dock cable in the left ports.  This way if the monitors advertised 65W power isn't enough, there's another 65W power adapter dedicated to the laptop as well.

Here's our powershell script we now have assigned at login because of these terrible computers.

<#
    .SYNOPSIS
        This script Disables the Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio & Intel Dynamic Tuning Device Extension component.

.DESCRIPTION
        The Dell 5530 laptops come with 2 annoying "features" which have caused us trouble.

1. Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio - Causes USB Headsets to cut out, especially prevelant in Skype for Business desktop client.
            2. Intel Dynamic Tuning Device Extension Component - Causes tons of "Power" event logs every second and possible shutdown problems.

This script will look for the existence of both and disable them. 

.NOTES

Last Edit: 10/03/2022

_______________________ RELEASE NOTES _______________________
        Version 1.3 - Added generic function called "Get-Device" which will take a generic FriendlyName for log / console output and Instance Id for searching for the device.
        Version 1.2 - Added generic function called "Disable-Device" which will take a PnpDevice as Input and disable it.
        Version 1.1 - Added the Intel Dynamic Tuning and Device Extension Component driver to the list of devices to be disabled.
        Version 1.0 - Initially released to Disable Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio Driver.
#>

###########

<#
    .SYNOPSIS
        This function gets a PnP Device and if none are found, return a new PSCustomObject with FriendlyName, InstanceId, and Present Properties.

.PARAMETER FriendlyName
        The parameter FriendlyName is used to return a PSCustomObject if no PnP device is found.

.PARAMETER InstanceId
        The parameter InstanceId is used to find the PnP device.

.EXAMPLE
        Returns a PnP Device or / a PSCustomObject with FriendlyName, InstanceId, and Present Properties.
        PS C:\> Get-Device -FriendlyName "Blah Blah Blah" -InstanceId "SWD\blahblahblah{blah}"
#>
function Get-Device {
    PARAM (
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
        $FriendlyName,

$InstanceId
    )

$pnpDevice = Get-PnpDevice -InstanceId $InstanceId -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue;

# If the PnP device is present, return it to the caller.
    If ($pnpDevice) {
        return $pnpDevice;
    }
    else {
        # The PnP device wasn't present, return a PSCustomObject with the properties sent from the caller.
        return [PSCustomObject]@{
            FriendlyName    = $FriendlyName
            InstanceId      = $InstanceId
            Present         = $False
        };
    }
}

<#
    .SYNOPSIS
        I hope the name is self explanatory.. It disables the device.
#>
function Disable-Device {
    PARAM (
        $Device
    )

# Checks if the device is present and set to OK.
    If ($Device.Present -and $Device.Status -eq "OK") { 

# Now let's Disable it.
    $Device | Disable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false;

# Now let's re-check.
    If ((Get-PnpDevice -InstanceId $Device.InstanceId).Status -ne "OK") {
        Write-Host "";
        Write-Host "The $($Device.FriendlyName) was successfully Disabled." -ForegroundColor Yellow;

Start-Sleep 2;
    }
}
    Else {
        # Device isn't present or is already disabled.
        Write-Host "";
        Write-Host "The $($Device.FriendlyName) isn't present or was already Disabled" -ForegroundColor Green;

Start-Sleep 2;
    }
}

###########################################################
# _____________ ### START OF SCRIPT LOGIC ### _____________
###########################################################

# Get the Intel Smart Sound Driver and attempt to disable it.
$audioDevice = Get-Device -FriendlyName "Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio" -InstanceId "INTELAUDIO\CTLR_DEV_51C8&LINKTYPE_06&DEVTYPE_06&VEN_8086&DEV_AE50&SUBSYS_0B061028&REV_0001\0602";
Disable-Device -device $audioDevice;

# Get the Intel Dynamic Tuning Driver and attempt to disable it.
$intelDTDEC = Get-Device -FriendlyName "Intel Dynamic Tuning Device Extension Component" -InstanceId "SWD\DRIVERENUM\{BC7814A1-A80E-44B3-87C6-652EAC676387}#DTTEXTCOMPONENT&4&9AE1E4C&0";
Disable-Device -device $intelDTDEC;

February 21st, 2023 11:00

We have one Dell Latitude 5530 (12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1265U with 16 gb ram) that has several of the issues mentioned in this thread. It was shipped with Windows 10 pro, but we upgraded it to Windows 11 pro before any of these issues arose. It will intermittently restart and boot into the "Windows did not load correctly screen" or into a regular boot. Other threads have mentioned that random shutdowns occur right after logging in, but on this machine, shutdowns happen entirely randomly. No minidump.dmp created. 

(Sorry for the low resolution)

image.png
It also has this type of event that occurs with every keystroke or action:

"Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:1904) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}"

The events created for the shutdowns are generic "Unexpected shutdown" errors, which are not helpful for troubleshooting. 

Here's what I've attempted with no success:

• Reinstalled some failed windows updates in windows update history
  • Installed Dell Command | Update firmware update
  • Ran system file check, which found and repaired bthmodem.sys (Bluetooth driver)
  • Scanned the health of the drive
  • Checked battery and sleep settings

These changes did not resolve the issue. 

The machine was ordered mid December 2022, and it has been in operation for less than a month. I'm hoping to find a simple solution.

March 8th, 2023 07:00

Update: After all the attempts listed above, we were still having issues with random shutdowns.

Two weeks ago, we decided to completely wipe the machine and reinstall Windows 11.

We formatted the drive through the Windows installation process and had to sideload the ISRT driver to see the ssd.

After the Windows 11 installation completed, we performed all necessary Dell Command Update firmware/driver updates. 

We are still getting this spammed in the event viewer:
Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:4500) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

The machine made it about two weeks before the random shutdowns (with all the same peculiarities) began to occur again. We will be calling Dell Support to take advantage of our warranty on the device.

2 Posts

June 9th, 2023 03:00

Hi, "solution" for this issue is:

This issue is caused by the Intel DTT service, which tries to change the power plan almost every minute.

It can be easily fixed by Group Policies available on the Pro editions of Windows:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management -> Select an Active Power Plan -> Automatic

Source: XPS 15 9520 frequent UserModePowerService events : r/DellXPS (reddit.com)

1 Message

September 26th, 2023 15:29

@primzy​ Thank you! This worked for me

No Events found!