Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

25 Posts

June 20th, 2020 11:00

4G WWAN for E5430

The Dell Latitude E5430 has a cell capabilities the OEM WWAN is or was a DW560 that is 3G I am looking for an upgrade to 4G I have found some WWAN cards like the DW5808 that will fit but from all the research the windows 10 driver will not work for on Windows 10 for some unknown reason and you have to go back to the windows 7 or 8 driver and then it works less than 50% of the time because the drive will not install for some reason.
This is what I have found looking into this has anyone done this that has a solution? Does anyone know why the windows 10 driver for the DW808 does not work and found a solution?
Has anyone found a Non Dell part with driver say from Sierra wireless (I sent them an email asking for assistance) that makes the WWAN for Dell or ? that works in the E5430?

Thank you

105 Posts

June 20th, 2020 18:00

Finding a card to fit the interface has always been the easy part. The hard part is software and if the OEM doesn’t provide it then you may never get it to work. The mobile broadband hardware OEM is under no obligation to assist an end user. In the case of Sierra Wireless they maintain a developers’ forum which is an end user’s only hope for getting assistance. Unfortunately, most regulars are in the here and now dealing with modern hardware whereas those who came to solve problems usually vanish without leaving any indication if their problem was ever solved. You can check their forum and you just might get lucky.

25 Posts

June 21st, 2020 03:00

You are saying the same thing as I am in a different way? What your saying about the software and the hardware anyway and unfortunately I think your conclusion is correct, I think the people at Sierra wireless and Dell are not interested in fixing the existing driver or creating another they have moved on to new tech.
I did before posting search through the community and there are a couple posts on this subject but the only the solution here and other places online is using the driver from 7 or 8 (I think it is the same driver for this application from what I read?) but that there are issues getting it to install on 10 some got it to work most did not as I said.
Not all tech's with the knowledge to create a driver or repairing a driver work for Dell or Sierra I guess I was hoping since from my research online for this issue showed me that this issue exist with many Dell laptop models of the 3G era not just my model that someone lets say an independent would have taken up the challenge and that someone here knew, it was long shot I took it and missed it seems:( I will continue to watch this thread who knows.
I have been looking into tablets that have 4G LTE for what I want to spend I think I am going to buy the refurbished Dell Venue 11 pro 7130 I am watching on eBay since there does not seem to be a solution on hand for my laptop...I hate Dell, their services are  but I seem have their computers around me a lot my desktop is a all in one 2330.
I love my E5430 owned it for many years added blueteeth replaced just about all the pieces and bits at one time or another. I see no reason to buy another when this does what I need on the go.

Thanks for sharing 

5.6K Posts

June 21st, 2020 09:00

Drivers can sometimes work in Windows 10 if they are installed in compatibility mode.

25 Posts

June 21st, 2020 11:00

This is something that I thought about and in all the research, reading I have done no one has said they tried to use compatibility mode, I think, I just took it for granted that they did since some of the articles or post where written by techs or tech sites, I did not just look at forums?
It is an interesting quandary if they did not, the question becomes is it worth it to buy a WWAN and and try it?

Thank you for taking the time to post 

105 Posts

June 21st, 2020 11:00

The truth is, there’s not much of a demand for computer equipped mobile broadband in the first place let alone for older hardware, especially when Wi-Fi to a portable hotspot negates the need.

25 Posts

June 21st, 2020 12:00

that may be true in first world countries like America? I would like to point this out and please do not think I am attacking you but rather I am saying this to point out the lack of forethought on the part of many?
I live in Central America Wifi hot spots are not as widely available here that is why I just got a tablet that is 4G LTE. Funny thing about it is the Dell venue 11 pro I got was made about the same time as the E5430 we are talking about??

Thank you for posting  

5.6K Posts

June 21st, 2020 20:00

I don't what was/is the availability of WWAN of laptops sold in central America.

As far as I know the ones sold in the USA were locked to specific mobile networks such as Verizon or AT&T or whatever.

25 Posts

June 21st, 2020 22:00

I bought the Dell Venue 11 pro and because of this decision I am not planning to put the WWAN in my laptop at this time. That said what NYC10036 said about compatibility mode brought back into my mind that as stated in my reply I assumed the techs who wrote of these issues did use compatibility mode even though none actually said they did and all day today in the back of my head I was thinking "damn if I had waiting that may have changed my decision realizing I do not know absolutely for sure?"
so I think in a month or two (I am on Social Security, old guy here) once I have the Venue 11 here and setup for my use I will probably get a DW5808 and try the drivers in compatibility mode and post the results?
I appreciate all the input and any future information that comes to the thread even someone pointing out something I have thought of shows that I am covering all my bases for this.

25 Posts

June 21st, 2020 22:00

In my search I did see reference to this, I do not think it applies to the laptops and here is why. I am not sure about this but I got the impression that the laptop or at least the Dell laptop WWANs where not service provider specific, it seems to me that kind of thing was or is limited to the phones and tablets?
It is not hard to find unlocked DW5808 WWAN cards, eBay is better than Amazon and they start in the teens for pricing?

Thank you for posting 

No Events found!