Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2019 03:00

7285 completely freezes. No BSOD or errors recorded.

I bought a 2nd hand, but pristine condition 7285, have completely updated all drivers from the dell website, and completely updated Windows 10 professional.

However it won't stop freezing up. Anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes after starting Windows, and no matter what I am doing on it, it just freezes completely  The keyboard backlight still comes on when touched, but the tablet is completely frozen until holding the power button to restart.

It seems to be reliable if I delete the graphics driver, but Windows soon downloads another and the problem starts again. Getting a bit desperate here. 

14 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 14:00

Anyone else have the factory SK Hynix SSD drive on their machine?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 8th, 2019 04:00

Run system diagnostics to confirm that the hardware is not having problems. Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Select diagnostics and watch for any errors such as GPU, hard drive, and motherboard.

7 Posts

February 11th, 2019 16:00

Thanks for the advice, but after letting it chug through the whole thorough test, it passed with no hardware errors.

15 Posts

April 16th, 2019 17:00

Same with my 7285 purchased from Dell Outlet last week. Thought maybe is was an issue with Windows 10 1809 update so I rolled it back to the 1803 Update and it is still happening. I can't tie it down to a single application or activity. Hardware Tests run through Support Assist app find no issues.

7 Posts

April 17th, 2019 00:00

Please keep me updated with what happens. I haven't solved my problem.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 17th, 2019 01:00

@Jez83UK wrote:

Please keep me updated with what happens. I haven't solved my problem.

Hi @Jez83UK can you help me out with some more information about the specifics of the freezing so I can advise further :-

a) Does the system ever freeze outside of Windows i.e during the startup process or is it always in Windows?
b) Does it freeze every time it's used, or is it every few days?
c) When the system freezes, is it a full system lockup or do the touchpad and keyboard still respond?
d) Does the system fix itself from the freeze or do you have to restart the system to get it working again?
e) The system passes the extended ePSA hardware tests suggesting there is no hardware issue. That suggests it could be Windows itself that is at fault. Can you run the online diagnostics also and let me know if they pass or fail or freeze during the tests - https://www.dell.com/support/home/ie/en/iedhs1/product-support/product/latitude-12-7285-2-in-1-laptop/diagnose Please run the full test if possible.

Alan

15 Posts

April 19th, 2019 07:00

Hello, I have included my answers to your questions below.

a) Always in Windows

b) Every time it's used

c) It's a full system lockup

d) I have to restart the system to get it working again

e) Yes, the system passes the extended ePSA as well as the Support Assist in app and online tests.

I have updated every single driver and firmware I can find and have reinstalled Windows twice, to no avail. 

7 Posts

April 19th, 2019 08:00

Exactly the same with mine. Sometimes it even freezes during windows hello, but not before that. It does appear to be a graphics card driver issue, but windows won't allow it to run without automatically updating, and I've tried every version on the dell website. 

14 Posts

April 19th, 2019 08:00

Same issue here. Ran all the diagnostics - they come back clean. It seems to be freezing more frequently. I’ll have one or two programs open. The machine will lock up and a hard shutdown is the only solution.

15 Posts

April 19th, 2019 13:00

Maybe we should compare configurations to see if there are any additional hints as to what the issue is?

I have the core i5 with 8GB Ram, 128GB SSD + WWAN, WiGig, and using the optional K17M keyboard.

7 Posts

April 19th, 2019 13:00

Mine is the i7 with 16gb ram, 512gb hard drive, no wigig, and the standard keyboard. 

14 Posts

April 19th, 2019 21:00

i7 16GB 512SSD

no wigig 

standard keyboard

I use the Dell D6000 dock

but it’s locked up without the dock in use

15 Posts

April 20th, 2019 06:00

So we each have the keyboard. Run without the keyboard attached and see if you still get lockups

15 Posts

April 20th, 2019 17:00

Turned off the "HDR Video" option in the Settings Panel and have gone 2 hours without a freeze. May be random or unrelated, but...I'll report back

14 Posts

April 21st, 2019 15:00

UPDATE:

with my standard keyboard plugged in the computer freezes pretty fast - with in 10mins of use or less

removed the keyboard and left a YouTube HD video on a loop - about 40mins in it froze

UPDATE 2:  Turned off HDR as @jakirkla had noted above. Ran Youtube HD video along with several applications open for over 2hrs - no freezing. Attached the keyboard and rebooted. Opened Youtube HD video and several applications for over 2hrs - no freezing. Going to leave few more apps open and leave it running overnight.

No Events found!