Latitude

1 Copper

7490 - Problems with 2 External Monitors at 1440p

I have a WD19TB Docking station with 2 Dell Monitors (S2721DGF & S2719DGF). When connected to my 7490 laptop, I can only get one monitor to display 1440p. The other monitor defaults can only max out at 1080p. I've connected the docking station with my XPS 9500 and can get both monitors to display 1440p at the same time. I've connected both monitors with DisplayPort and tried 1 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI. Is the 7490 able to capable of 2x 1440? The graphics is UHD 620

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
7 Thorium

@cubsfan2154  Sounds like the WD19TB when connected to your 7490. is running in USB-C backward compatibility mode rather than Thunderbolt mode. There are two possible causes. One is that your 7490 doesn’t have Thunderbolt, since it was optional on that model (but was standard on the XPS 15). The other is that you don’t have the Thunderbolt software/drivers installed.

If you don’t have Thunderbolt, you can’t run dual QHD and USB 3.x over your USB-C port at the same time, and any dock would set up USB-C to run USB 3.x. In that case, you can either:

• Give up the dock and use the USB-C port purely for video, which will allow enough bandwidth for dual QHD, which you can achieve using a daisy chain or an MST hub.
  • Connect one of your QHD displays to the HDMI port on the 7490 so its bandwidth requirements don’t have to be met over the dock connection.
  • Use a dock like the Dell D6000 that relies on “indirect display” technology called DisplayLink — not to be confused with DisplayPort. That will give you dual QHD through even a regular USB-C connection, but DisplayLink comes with some drawbacks. And the D6000 can only provide 65W of power compared to the WD19TB’s 130W max, which means the D6000 won’t adequately power your XPS 15.

View solution in original post

Dell Accepted Solution
Replies (2)

Welcome to Dell Social Media Support for Technical and After Sales inquiries.

Please share the Service Tag / Express Service code / Order Number via Direct / Private message in the text format for which you need assistance.

7 Thorium

@cubsfan2154  Sounds like the WD19TB when connected to your 7490. is running in USB-C backward compatibility mode rather than Thunderbolt mode. There are two possible causes. One is that your 7490 doesn’t have Thunderbolt, since it was optional on that model (but was standard on the XPS 15). The other is that you don’t have the Thunderbolt software/drivers installed.

If you don’t have Thunderbolt, you can’t run dual QHD and USB 3.x over your USB-C port at the same time, and any dock would set up USB-C to run USB 3.x. In that case, you can either:

• Give up the dock and use the USB-C port purely for video, which will allow enough bandwidth for dual QHD, which you can achieve using a daisy chain or an MST hub.
  • Connect one of your QHD displays to the HDMI port on the 7490 so its bandwidth requirements don’t have to be met over the dock connection.
  • Use a dock like the Dell D6000 that relies on “indirect display” technology called DisplayLink — not to be confused with DisplayPort. That will give you dual QHD through even a regular USB-C connection, but DisplayLink comes with some drawbacks. And the D6000 can only provide 65W of power compared to the WD19TB’s 130W max, which means the D6000 won’t adequately power your XPS 15.

View solution in original post

Dell Accepted Solution
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions