Highlighted
Alex C.
1 Copper

Add backlit keyboard to Latitude 5580

We accidentally ordered a bunch of Latitude 5580 laptops without the backlight keyboard (I'm surprised that's even an option any more).  We're out of the exchange period and end users are starting to complain.  Does anyone know if we can order (maybe from the Dell parts department or a 3rd party) the Backlight keyboard and then swap it in ourselves?  I'm not sure if there are extra connectors for the Backlight keyboard, or if the BIOS on a non-backlit system can handle adding the backlight keyboard.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
24 Replies

Re: Add backlit keyboard to Latitude 5580

Hi Alex, 

The only difference between backlit and non backlit keyboards is the additional ribbon cable to enable the backlit functionality. The palmrest and motherboard remain the same. It's relatively easy to change the keyboards on these systems following our user guide - http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/latitude-15-5580-laptop/late5580_om_pub/keyboard?guid=g...

What country are you based in so I can check and see what your options are for purchasing replacement keyboards.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
littledogtech
1 Copper

I have a 5580 that I would like to retrofit with a backlit keyboard as well. I am in the US. What part number would I need to purchase?

0 Kudos

Hi littledogtech,

The part number you're looking for is TF5M0 ( Keyboard, US English-International, 106 Keys, Backlit, Black, (M14IXFBP, UV Coating) )

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)

0 Kudos
rjlewis
1 Copper

Any way to upgrade Latitude 3590 with backlit keyboard? What part number would I need? Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi rjlewis,

The keyboard on the 3590 is integrated into the palmrest. Replacing the palmrest requires the removal of all other components as can be seen in the manual:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/latitude-15-3590-laptop_owners-manual3_en-us.pdf

There are two types of palmrest, with or without fingerprint reader. The part numbers for a US-English keyboard are:

WNCFK (ASSY, KB with palmrest, fingerprint)

9X91P  (ASSY, KB with palmrest, non-fingerprint)

If it's not a US keyboard you need, let me know and I'll get the correct part number for you.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)

0 Kudos
rjlewis
1 Copper

Do you have a link to purchase them? I'm trying to find by part number but getting empty results. 

0 Kudos

On the Dell homepage there is a small sidebar on the right hand side labelled "Chat or Call"

If you can't get one directly you'll need to try through a 3rd party.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
mosbyj
1 Copper

Hi,

Where can i get this  particular keyboard in Nairobi, Kenya? or how can i get it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

@mosbyj wrote:

Hi,

Where can i get this  particular keyboard in Nairobi, Kenya? or how can i get it.

Thanks.

Hi @mosbyj, I would recommend reaching out to one of our partners in Nairobi for more information. Here is a link to our partner finder webpage, http://www.dell.com/learn/ed/en/eddhs1/campaigns/find-a-service-partner?~ck=mn

Click on Countries G - L and then select Kenya, your options are Repair Junction and Ensure Services.

I hope this helps.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT

0 Kudos