Highlighted
Jtms
1 Copper

Re: Was freezing till stoped reading m.2

Jump to solution

Hi Alan, I've contacted dell support as this laptop is litelary brand new, I still have 3 year pro tech support on it πŸ™‚ personally I agree with you that it sounds like main board but tech support thinks that it's just M.2 card issue, they are sending me a new m.2 which should land on monday so well see πŸ™‚ as for answers to your questions:

A) system was freezing and randomly and when pressed left top corner or picked up laptop on left top corner.

B) this laptop is new, it never seen a drop or knock or anything like that

C) laptop was working fine for about 3 days and on 4th day started acting up 

D) it works in bios 100% if you run diagnostics it says that no storage media found or something like that, I had one occasion that it froze in bios but I can't remember did I pick it up on that stage or it was on the table not being moved.

E) I dont use any docking stations at all, it's just sitting on the desk

0 Kudos
sergey12
1 Copper

Re: Anyone else having freezing issues with Dell Latitude 7490's?

Jump to solution

@Suezeng  did it help to reseat the memory DIMM?

My laptop is still looks new and I do not want to open it first time without any strong reason. 

Also thinking about possible m.2 issue. few times I got corrupted filesystem (and needed to do fsck from initramfs) to recover and boot somehow.  

It seems like there are several reports with the same symptom of freeze when touching/handling laptop from the left side. Probably the root cause is the same. Is there any working solution? 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@Jtms thanks for the response. I believe that tech support have only considered one part of your issue, the SSD not showing in the diagnostics and not the freezing when being picked up.

They could be related though, it depends on where and how the SSD connects to the system board. If the system was shutting down when being picked up I would be looking at one component shorting the other one out. However as it's only freezing and locking up, their suggestion of an SSD could be whats required.

Have you had a chance to fit the replacement SSD yet?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hey folks, 

The SSD on this system is positioned on the bottom left hand corner of the system

image.png

Would anyone affected by this issue be willing to try reseating the SSD to the motherboard and letting me know if the system is still freezing when picked up on the left hand side.

Here's the link to the service manual for the instructions - https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/latitude-14-7490-laptop/latitude_7490_om/removing-pcie...

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Jtms
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My problem was solved by replacing the motherboard, dell send me replacement motherboard free of charge, took me few minutes to replace and it works as good as new (3 days before it broke) πŸ˜„

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@Jtms that's interesting as I have a user advising they reseated the SSD and so far it has resolved the issue. We are waiting on the results of longer term testing.

Can I ask if you tried reseating the SSD as part of your troubleshooting?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos