Highlighted
CarolF1
1 Nickel

Best operating system for the E6420

I would like to know what the best operating system would be that the machine can handle as I won this machine on auction and from what they say on the site it will come without an operating system-not sure if this is true or not. If it is then what operating system would be the better since this is an older model. It is an i5 with 6GB ram.

I would appreciate any info on this.

Thank you, Carol

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Best operating system for the E6420

It may have had the OS wiped from the drive before auctioning it off. If you are curious about the shipped OS that was installed at the factory, then on the system somewhere should be the service tag number. Type that in at the support site and it will give you all the details on the system configuration. If you cannot find the service tag or it has been removed, there is a way to find it in the BIOS. I would hope it is Windows 7 or 8. Judging by the age of the system, it is right around the time that 8 was released.

Dell support..type in the service tag number

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/products

How to find the service tag number

Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F2. In the BIOS under System Information look for the menu item Service Tag, it should be a 7 digit code.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

I hope you did not pay much for this model from 2011. By now it probably needs more than an operating system. Batteries--main and cmos coin cell*, possibly a new hard drive, memory etc. Don't spend more than the laptop is worth. See the service manual--

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6420/manuals 

Check out the drivers list at Dell support too. Drivers are available from last year for up to Windows 8.

Review from 2011-- https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-E6420-Notebook.51152.0.html 

*coin cell cmos battery is important--only ~$2

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Zinc

@CarolF1 wrote:

I would like to know what the best operating system would be that the machine can handle as I won this machine on auction and from what they say on the site it will come without an operating system-not sure if this is true or not. If it is then what operating system would be the better since this is an older model. It is an i5 with 6GB ram.

I would appreciate any info on this.

Thank you, Carol

Dell Auction or eBay or something else?

Fortunately for you, replacing the hard drive or the CMOS battery should not be too difficulty with a Latitude. They tend to hold up pretty well because they are usually from corporate environments.

I bought a used E6400 which is two generations older than your laptop and the only thing I needed to replace on it was the CMOS battery.

SSD hard drivers are fairly cheap now and will speed up the laptop if you should need to replace the hard drive .

0 Kudos
CarolF1
1 Nickel

I got it from the auction on Property room. I charged it some-it turned out to have a good charge. It has windows 7 Home Premium in it. and I found out it is a 250GB Hard drive. I am installing updates right now-found out it had not been done since 2014. I eventually want to update the hard drive. It runs fast. Also, later on I will update to Windows 8. How hard is it to change out the hard drive-will it effect what you have on the computer? Do you lose any data, etc with the change out? What would be a better Hard drive for it- 500 GB or a 1 TB? Since it is an older computer.

I would appreciate any info or advice on this.

Thank you,

Carol

0 Kudos
CarolF1
1 Nickel

What is the coin cell battery for?

Carol

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Zinc

@CarolF1 wrote:

What is the coin cell battery for?

BIOS settings

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Zinc

@CarolF1 wrote:

I got it from the auction on Property room. I charged it some-it turned out to have a good charge. It has windows 7 Home Premium in it. and I found out it is a 250GB Hard drive. I am installing updates right now-found out it had not been done since 2014. I eventually want to update the hard drive. It runs fast. Also, later on I will update to Windows 8. How hard is it to change out the hard drive-will it effect what you have on the computer? Do you lose any data, etc with the change out? What would be a better Hard drive for it- 500 GB or a 1 TB? Since it is an older computer.

I would appreciate any info or advice on this.

Thank you,

Carol

Windows 7 has only 1 year left of Microsoft security updates.

What I would do if I were you is to

a.) get all the Windows 7 updates

b.) go online and make sure that Windows 7 is activated

c.) get the Windows 7 key https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-find-your-windows-7-product-key-2625112  and write it down

d.) make an image backup of it an external hard drive using something like Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

e.) buy a SSD larger or as large as the current hard drive; a 500 GB SSD should cost about $75 for known grand

f.) do a clean installation of Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool. There are plenty of tutorials about this process.

g.) activate Windows 10 using the Windows 7 key.

Locate the manual on how to remove the hard drive. Should be a 1 minute procedure.

0 Kudos
CarolF1
1 Nickel

So, I have done the updates and put my security suite on and it is still running fast. It is a good machine. the only little thins is that up near the hinge on the left is a little crack small thin one. Otherwise the machine is doing great for one that I got for 88.00 on Property room auction site. I will keep the Windows 7 for as long as I can.

But, about that little crack-it seems to be just on the top and not through the machine-is there something I can put on it to seal it?

Thank you.

Carol

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Zinc

@CarolF1 wrote:

So, I have done the updates and put my security suite on and it is still running fast. It is a good machine. the only little thins is that up near the hinge on the left is a little crack small thin one. Otherwise the machine is doing great for one that I got for 88.00 on Property room auction site. I will keep the Windows 7 for as long as I can.

But, about that little crack-it seems to be just on the top and not through the machine-is there something I can put on it to seal it?

Thank you.

Carol

As I wrote before Windows 7 loses Microsoft security updates January 2020 in about 12 months time.

If you do anything such as online banking, you'll want to upgrade to Windows 10.

JB Weld for the crack in the hinge.

0 Kudos