NealKal
1 Copper

Best way to manage multiple Latitudes

I have around 500 Latitudes in my organization.  I'm to the point where I'd like to get visibility on what laptops have out of date drivers, ability to push driver updates remotely, PC health information, etc.  What is the best route to go if I want something to centrally manage these laptops like this?  I'm new to this and confused between Dell Command, OpenManage Essentials, and SupportAssist.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Best way to manage multiple Latitudes

Microsoft SCCM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/system-center-configuration-manager

and Dell Premium Support with Support Assist  with ProSupport Plus:

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

SCCM is indeed a popular choice, but in addition to being a paid product (where you get to deal with the intricacies of Microsoft software licensing policy/models....), SCCM is quite complicated to manage, partly because it can do a whole lot more than you're asking to be able to do.  It's not at all unusual for organizations to have a full-time employee or even an entire team dedicated just to administering SCCM because it's large and important enough that it often makes sense to hire people just for their SCCM expertise rather than someone who has some familiarity with it in addition to other areas of expertise -- although perhaps not for an org with only 500 systems.  SupportAssist to my knowledge doesn't allow centralized management, only centralized deployment; I believe that just allows PCs to check in directly with Dell about outdated drivers and hardware issues and such.  Dell Command is sort of a "brand umbrella" that includes a variety of applications that serve various tasks, which can be used in conjunction or not.  And I believe OpenManage Essentials only supports servers, network, and storage equipment.  I would suggest spending some time reading the documentation of the products you're interested in to see which capabilities appeal to you.

0 Kudos
NealKal
1 Copper

Thank you for your input.  We already have a management tool that works for 90% of our needs, so implementing SCCM wouldn't make sense.  But our current tool doesn't offer Dell driver specific visibility or management.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Dell Command Update can be centrally managed and handles firmware and driver update delivery, but since I haven't used it in an enterprise setting, I don't know if it will give you a dashboard view that shows which systems are outdated, though.  It might just allow you to control update retrieval.  But I would start by looking there if you're just trying to cover that last base and have existing tools for everything else.

0 Kudos