Highlighted
ChrisLyman
1 Nickel

Blue Screen: Windows 10 1809 with ASMedia Drivers

Hello All,

I've seen this on two 5591's, a 5491, and a 7285.  The Thunderbolt driver will blue screen the box when it connects to a TB16 dock.  In trying to track it down, it appears to happen when the software tries to enumerate the devices on the dock (it will BSOD just a few seconds after I authorize the device via the driver).  Also, I've tried this against our corporate build as well as a vanilla build off of media.

Anybody else seeing this?  Or better yet, have any ideas?

9 Replies
ChrisLyman
1 Nickel

Re: Blue Screen: Windows 10 1809 with Thunderbolt Drivers

After some more digging it looks like the real culprit is the 'ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller Driver', it simply looked like the thunderbolt driver because every time you utilized the thunderbolt driver you also enabled the ASMedia driver (i.e. I plugged in the TB-16 dock and authorized it to connect), which throws the BSOD.

And the specific error is:

DRIVERS_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

0 Kudos
ChrisLyman
1 Nickel

Re: Blue Screen: Windows 10 1809 with ASMedia Drivers

After some more digging it looks like it a very specific device driver that causes the BSOD.  I can have the dock connected and have the 'ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller' driver installed, but when I try to install the driver for this device:

USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub&VID1B21&PID1142&VER01164901

I get the BSOD.  I've tried taking drivers from the following ASMedia driver versions:

All three cause a BSOD.  Here's a copy of the bugcheck info from the last crash:

* Bugcheck Analysis *

DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION (e6)
An illegal DMA operation was attempted by a driver being verified.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000026, IOMMU detected DMA violation.
Arg2: ffffa601c4d6b060, Device Object of faulting device.
Arg3: 000000000000001c, Faulting information (usually faulting physical address).
Arg4: 0000000000000006, Fault type (hardware specific).

0 Kudos
Louis O
1 Copper

The problem seems to be with all Asmedia drivers for Asmedia chipsets. I have a pcie esata card with a JBOD box attached, in a Dell XPS 8930. This card uses the Asmedia 106x SATA Controller driver. As soon as I updated to Windows 10 Version 1809 from Version 1803 I received the BSOD with the message INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR. If I disconnect everything from the card, the computer turns on fine. As soon as I plug something back in, within 2 seconds of windows recognizing the attached drives, I get the BSOD.

I have phoned both Dell and Microsoft tech support. They could not figure it out. 

I also contacted the card manufacturer and they replied on 1/2/2019 with the following "We are still doing test and trying to find a solution.  Asmedia does not seems to have new drivers."

Since then I have done many searches online and as of today, 1/18/2019, there are no new Asmedia drivers. I have switched to another pcie esata card with a Marvell chipset and everything is well. I will continue looking for a newer Asmedia driver.

If I find new Asmedia drivers I will come back here and post it and I will check to see if anyone else has solved the problem.

0 Kudos
CorneliusWild
1 Copper

Hi,

i have the same problem with a Precision 7530 and aTB18DC Dock. So it is not a Latitude specific problem but a general ASMedia driver problem.

I tried to update firmware, BIOS and drivers of Laptop and Dock, but nothing helped. My ASMedia driver version is 1.16.55.1.

Irregular i get a BSOD with the following message:

DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION (e6)
An illegal DMA operation was attempted by a driver being verified.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000026, IOMMU detected DMA violation.
Arg2: ffffaf8f65d82060, Device Object of faulting device.
Arg3: 000000000000002f, Faulting information (usually faulting physical address).
Arg4: 0000000000000006, Fault type (hardware specific).

I try to speed up the process by triggering our company internal Dell Support.

0 Kudos
ChrisLyman
1 Nickel

For what it's worth, I've found a 'sometimes it works' workaround.  In my environment I find that if I flash the firmware on the TB16 to the latest, it works most of the time.  I do have two docks that still throw a blue screen if you plug in the Ethernet cable, but if they leave the Ethernet cable unplugged and work off of wireless the system seems to be stable.  For the record the firmware version of the ASM USB 3.0 Cntlr that works for me is 10.11.A9.

0 Kudos
NN nickname
1 Copper

Have the same issue. XPS 15 9570 Updating the AS drivers from the support app caused s bluescreen, no dock connected. Got my system working again after deinstalling the drivers in save mode. That required some registry thinkering. Made a restore point afterwards. This morning I tried to activate Windows Hyper-v platform feature with the dock connected. Another bluescreen. BS showed ndis.sys problem. Not sure if they are related but missing drivers is never good. I use the dock to connect my hires display and backup drive. I never got my logi mouse and keyboard working consistently on the dock. In my case I consider the TD16 dock is waste of money, but that's another subject... Now windows update wants to install the ASMedia drivers dated 7/10/2018. I think I'll pass. So no solutions from my end. - Peter
0 Kudos
CorneliusWild
1 Copper

Hi, the last Bios update (https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/debsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=g4xyf) solved my problem. No further Blue Screens so far. Regards
0 Kudos
DarrenG7480
1 Copper

I'm having this same problem, except I don't have a Dell. I just have a media server that specified using a 6Gbps PCI-E eSata Card with the Asmedia chipset. Any chance you can shed some light on what I may need to do to fix this conflict so I can update? Thanks very much, I haven't been able to find many other people discussing this issue. 

0 Kudos
dan cre
1 Copper

This has been happening to a lot of our 9360s/9370s for about a month now. We narrowed it down to the same ASMedia USB A11 update from Dell Command Update. It usually happens in combonation with our  Dell WD15 docking stations. The result is a BSOD and it crashes all USB and Bluetooth devices until reboot. We have found about half the time installing the older A10 update will fix it, but it does come back most of the time.

I opened a ticket with Dell about this and it was escalated, I'll let you know if I hear anything.

0 Kudos