Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2018 04:00

Cannot recover OS to used laptop

Hi!

I have bought a used DELL Latitude 5420 with an original Windows 7 Pro sticker, but the drive is wiped clean. The warranty of the laptop has already expired. The OS cannot be recovered from the hard drive. I tried Dell OS Recovery Tool, but it does not work (it says that there are no OS ISO files related to this Service Tag). Tried to download OS image from Microsoft, but after typing the product key from the Windows COA sticker it says that this OS was sold by a manufacturer, thus it cannot be downloaded from Microsoft. Is there any other way to recover the original OS?

Thanks,

Zsolt

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 1st, 2018 09:00

You should have a license key inside your battery compartment, if needed.  Most times, Dell OEM Windows 7 discs won't require it.

If by chance your system does not have a license key -- it could be the original owner had a volume license agreement, and did not purchase one for the system.  If so, you will need to buy a new license key (and if that becomes necessary, Windows 10 will be your only option, as Windows 7 license keys are no longer supplied by Microsoft).  

It would indeed be good to decide whether you want to keep the system beyond the next 18 months - if you do, upgrade to 10 now as recommended - Windows 7 hasn't long to go before all security updates for it cease in January 2020.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 2nd, 2018 06:00

You can directly clean install Windows 10 Version 1803 by downloading an installation .iso from Microsoft and activate using your Windows 7 Pro Product Key found on your COA (in your systems battery compartment):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-1803/

Otherwise you'll need to use another system's service tag to get the Dell Skylake Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation .iso. Activation wise it'll use the SLIC 2.1 embedded in your systems UEFI BIOS.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 1st, 2018 06:00

Look on EBay or similar -- there are usually people selling OEM Dell install DVDs for a few dollars.

Neither Dell nor Microsoft ships Windows 7 media any longer.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 1st, 2018 07:00

Either that, or if you’ll be using this system for more than 18 months, download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft (which does not require a product key) and purchase a license to activate it after you install it, since Windows 7 will no longer be receiving updates as of January 2020.

If you’re determined to use Windows 7 though, do yourself a massive favor and manually download certain key updates beforehand so you can install them immediately, otherwise Windows Update could spend hours just trying to figure out what to start downloading, and then several more hours and restarts to get everything. Below are the updates I would recommend downloading beforehand and then installing offline before you even start in on Windows Update.  The updates must be installed in the sequence listed below, and this will mean your first Windows Update experience won't be excruciatingly painful.  I would post direct links, but including multiple links in a single post tends to get the post held for moderator approval, which can take a while to come, so you can just Google the names/KB numbers below to find the download pages from Microsoft:

- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (unless you'll be using install media that has it integrated)

- KB3020369: April 2015 Servicing Stack Update (required to install subsequent updates)

- KB3125574: Windows 7 Convenience Update (takes you from SP1's February 2011 state all the way to April 2016 in one big package rather than hundreds of individual updates)

- KB3172605: July 2016 Update Rollup (includes the fix for very long Windows Update scan times, so after installing this, you may still have a few dozen updates, but at least you won't be waiting potentially hours for them to even start downloading).

July 1st, 2018 08:00

Thanks for Your help! Just one more question: What happens if I buy the recovery disk on e-Bay and maybe somebody somewhere already installed it. Will it work anyway on my laptop as well, or is there a possibility, that it will lose its activation on my machine due to being previously activated on another?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 1st, 2018 10:00

Windows installation discs aren’t unique for specific activation keys, nor do OEM installation discs come with product keys like retail discs, so there’s no risk to using a physical disc that was previously used elsewhere — but as ejn63 says, you may need to have the product key that would have been included with your own system (assuming it was ordered with Win7 Pro), since that’s normally how you get Windows to activate. But even if you don’t have it, if you would really prefer not to purchase a Windows 10 license and can find a Dell Win7 Pro install disc for a low cost, you may want to roll the dice and see if it happens to activate automatically on your system, since OEM install discs can sometimes do that when used with systems made by that OEM.

No Events found!