Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2021 11:00

Computer still has an issue with Latitude E5430 reading only one memory stick

So I still have this problem, it's from 2017, I have upgraded to two memory sticks for my DELL Latitude E5430, and my computer shows only 8GB of RAM installed. Is my computer designed to only read 8GB of RAM even though I got the same model as those who have 16GB of RAM? Or is my motherboard damaged because I can get it repaired but I would hate to only see that 16GB is in newer versions of this laptop. I can of course replace my motherboard but then my laptop won't have a windows 7 or 10 license anymore and I don't want to lose my OEM licenses. Does anyone know if getting a motherboard RAM socket repair is worth it and possible? I know that because I have tried to reach out to DELL for support but they don't offer support for Windows 7, or any device that came with Windows 7. Since there are Windows 10 versions of this exact model, I've done my research. It just seems like it's time for me to rack up some cash and get a newer better computer system, which I will eventually do but I really want to get the 16GB of memory back into this laptop, even if it is a lot this repair would mean so much to me, it would be a priceless repair for me. Someone please help me. Where can I get my motherboard repaired for me to have 16GB of RAM?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 16th, 2021 12:00

Try each module in each socket by itself.  If one module fails in both sockets, that module is bad.  If both modules fail in one socket, it's the socket that's bad.

There's no way to repair a bad socket economically (if at all) -- if one of the sockets is bad, the mainboard needs to be replaced.

These systems sell for between $50-150 complete and working.  It's not worth replacing a board in this one -- if you are otherwise happy with the system, look for a used E5430;  it'll be the least expensive way out of the problem.

May 16th, 2021 18:00

So basically there’s no way for me to get maximum memory without replacing my motherboard?

May 23rd, 2021 19:00

Take out the ram a few times and see which slot is working, if both memory modules work in one slot, then for the slot that doesn't work take out the ram and put it back in, hopefully this will work, if not keep trying, do it at least seven times, if your lucky you won't even have to pay a dollar like I did and be told millions of times by DELL or other repair stores that "I can only replace the motherboard", fixing or desoldering is not worth it, especially for a laptop that has warranty that expired and can't get renewed. If your computer just gives up and says no memory just know I had tried this several times and finally got it to work, my computer even booted and shut down with wifi and disk write icons blinking letting me know something was wrong with the computer; "No memory", and constantly would shut down. I managed to fix this, hopefully someone finds this article and tries this on their computer, it meant a lot to me that I didn't have to get my motherboard repaired or replaced.

September 20th, 2021 13:00

Guys, if this works: Good for you!! If it doesn't it means your product motherboard will ultimately have to be replaced. 

October 4th, 2021 10:00

I forgot to ask is the main board the entire motherboard that would have to be replaced?

No Events found!