kamit08
1 Copper

Dell 7480 and Dell 5480 fan noise and heating issue on more than 500 laptops

We are experiencing fan noise and overheating issue with new dell 7480 and dell 5480 on more than 500+ laptops. we are struggling from last 5 months. It generally happens when it is connected to USB C docking port.

We updated all the relevant drivers and BIOS but still facing same issue. 

46 Replies

Re: Dell 7480 and Dell 5480 fan noise and heating issue on more than 500 laptops

Please send me a PM (click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page) with one of the affected service tags and your email address. I'll look into this for you.

Thanks

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
kamit08
1 Copper

Re: Dell 7480 and Dell 5480 fan noise and heating issue on more than 500 laptops

Service tag- <service tag removed> also sent over mail.

0 Kudos
Mike_123abc
1 Nickel

Re: Dell 7480 and Dell 5480 fan noise and heating issue on m

What is the fix for this?  My new 5480 is driving me crazy.  It never shuts off the fans when plugged into USB-C.

0 Kudos
Team0
1 Copper

My Latitude 7490 had the same symptoms, fan running all the time and the system was hot. In the Task Manager I could see that the WSAPPX process was taking much of the CPU time, at minimum 25%. Via Google I found instructions to change in Local Group Policy Editor setting both for Computer Configuration and User Configuration:

> Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Store > Enable the Store application

These were originally set to "Not configured", so it seemed ambivalent. Setting to Enable made the WSAPPX to behave, running only immediately after start up to check the updates for apps installed via the store. The original instructions said to disable the setting, but then you don't have the Store, so this no option.

But my 7490 is still having big problems with the 1803 update, still waiting for MS to come up with a proper update... =(

0 Kudos
Mike_123abc
1 Nickel

I'm only seeing 2% CPU usage and the fan is still way too high.  Speedfan reports temps of 35C.  It works properly when not plugged into USB-C dock, but 95% of the time I use it docked.  My room used to be silent, but now all I hear is this annoying laptop.  My previous 5 Dell laptops didn't have this problem.

Highlighted
TOMANYTIMES
1 Copper

We have primarily 7480's and 7490's and all are experiencing issues with the the fan running so loudly.

We also have a bunch of users using E7470's and they have no issue with the fans. 

I myself have a 7480 and I too experience the exact same issue.

I have also tried setting the fan to "quite mode" via the "Dell Power Manager" and this definitely reduces it at he time, but it kicks up again later on.

Have you found a solution yet?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hktran
1 Copper

I have a Dell 5480 with quad-core CPU and I am having the exact problem that you guys are having. I just wonder if replacing the CPU fan will help ?

0 Kudos
hktran
1 Copper

I have a Dell 5480 with quad-core CPU and I am having the exact problem that you guys are having. I just wonder if replacing the CPU fan will help?

0 Kudos

@hktran wrote:

I have a Dell 5480 with quad-core CPU and I am having the exact problem that you guys are having. I just wonder if replacing the CPU fan will help ?

Hi @hktran, a BIOS update has recently been released to address the thermal concerns you are advising of. Updating the BIOS in conjunction with updating the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver should help with the issue. Here are the links for both updates

BIOS - https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=FXY8P
Intel DPTF - https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=D4G6R

If you could try the above and let me know how you get on it would be much appreciated.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro