Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2018 06:00

Dell D630 black screen but barely visible?

I have a Dell D630 that boots up fine, but the screen is black. At first I thought it was totally black, but I found that by holding a flashlight up to it, I could see areas of the screen just barely (see attached photos I took). So the graphics are being painted out on the screen, so that is working. It just doesn't have its source of illumination for some reason. Is it a screen replacement job then? Or something else? Thanks!

MikeIMG_20180227_063506.jpgIMG_20180227_063537.jpg

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 27th, 2018 08:00

That means the backlight is dead.  You'll need a replacement LCD, but considering the age of that system and how little it would cost to get a used and much newer system from retailers like Discount Electronics (if you're in the US), you'll do much better just getting a replacement PC.  It will also come with Windows 7, which is worthwhile on its own if your D630 is still running XP.

• 

16.7K Posts

February 27th, 2018 07:00

mparkes777,

Did you try increasing the screen brightness using the Keyboard fn Keys? If so, start the computer and Tap the F2 key to enter the bios. Navigate to the Video section. Here you can increase the brightness. Below are the bios video options. Also, check the Ambient Light Sensor setting in this area as well.

Video
Option Description
Video
This field contains options and settings related to the video controller.

Ambient Light Sensor
This field configures lets you enable or disable the ambient light sensor in the computer. This setting has no effect when the computer is operating on AC power.
  • Off — The ambient light sensor is turned off. You control the brightness of the system's LCD panel using the brightness hot keys ( and the up-arrow key and and the down-arrow key) and the Brightness fields in this program.
  • Enabled — The ambient light sensor is enabled. The sensor will automatically change the brightness of the system's LCD panel based on the amount of light in the environment. When the system is in a bright environment, the sensor will increase the brightness of the LCD panel. When the system is in a dimly lit environment, the sensor will decrease the brightness of the system's LCD panel.
The factory default setting is Off.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:
The sensor does not modify the brightness of any external LCD that may be connected. It can only change the brightness of the LCD panel built into the computer.
Brightness
This field sets the panel brightness when the system is running on battery power and the ambient light sensor is off.

The factory default setting is 3.

Brightness (AC)
This field sets the panel brightness when the system is running on AC power and the ambient light sensor is off.

The factory default setting is 8.

Primary Video
This field determines whether the video is displayed from a video card in the dock or from the computer's video controller.
  • Dock Video Card — Display video using the video card in the dock. If no video card is installed or the computer is undocked, video is displayed from the computer's internal video controller.
  • Onboard Video — Display video using the computer's internal video controller. Choose this setting if you use the multi-monitor feature provided by some operating systems.
The factory default setting is Dock Video Card.

February 27th, 2018 07:00

Thanks Jesse,

I went into the Bios and made sure both brightness levels (battery and AC powered) were both at maximum, and also turned off the ambient light sensor. Made no difference. Screen is still blank/black unless you hold a bright light right on the display and then you can begin to make out what is there.

Anything else to try?

Mike

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

EDIT: Wrong thread

thanks Jesse for your help, guess I will be looking for a replacement!

Mike

No Events found!