Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2019 08:00

Dell Keyboard Backlight Timeout Issue | Precision 7720

Hello,

I am attempting to finish what should be a ridiculously simple process -- I want my keyboard's backlight to stay on. This, obviously, should be a feature that is simple to use and requires no extra applications or software. However, whatever I do I cannot for the life of me get my Dell computer to keep the backlight on.

I have installed the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack. When I go to the control panel and open up the keyboard backlight settings, it refuses to take apply any customizations that I select. As soon as I hit 'apply', the window flickers and all of my customizations vanish.

I have attempted to download Quickset so that the Dell customizations for Windows Mobility Center appear (Currently, they do not), but that has not worked either. I've spent days trying to solve this problem on my own, and have gotten nowhere. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thank you for your time!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 10th, 2019 08:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @QuantumContinuum 

Did you try adjusting the BIOS options for the "Keyboard Backlight Timeout"???

Best regards,

U2

October 10th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your quick reply!

To be honest, until just now, I was unduly apprehensive about booting into the BIOS. Thankfully, it was relatively simple. And it seems to have worked. I really appreciate it; thank you very much!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 10th, 2019 09:00

Your very welcome @QuantumContinuum 

Regards,

U2

November 3rd, 2019 16:00

Sorry for my typos (due to Keyboard light snuffing out): Lets try this again --

So where is the utility for the e6440?

I have tried every utility system Dell has for this.

(e.g. ControlPoint, "System Manager Application", Feature Enhancement Pack, etc)

At best they halt at something like "Can't find Dll to create new directory." 

My Bios is A14 - and its not in there.

Why does every Dell utility on Keyboard Backlight Time-out EXCLUDE the e6440 ?

And How do we control it? Or are we just left to swing in the wind ?

November 3rd, 2019 16:00

So where is the utility for the e6400?

I have tried every system Dell has and at best they halt at "Can't find Dll to create new directory."

Why is every utility on Keyboard Time out EXCLUDE the 6440 ?

And How do I control it?

590 Posts

November 4th, 2019 10:00

See this thread on an alternative to the old (2013) Dell Feature Enhancement Pack - which seems doesn't always work/install on Windows 10 - to control Keyboard Backlight timeout.  Works for Latitude E6430 and XPS 15 9550. Should work for Latitude E6440 as well.

1 Message

March 11th, 2020 14:00

To adjust the keyboard backlight timeout, boot up into BIOS by restarting the computer and tapping F2 function key until BIOS screen is displayed.  If Windows loads, you'll need to restart and try again.

With BIOS loaded select System Configuration and you will see the Keyboard Backlight Timeout on AC and on Battery options.  You can change the timeout setting for each one separately. 

No Events found!