Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

15 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 05:00

Dell Latitude 5480/7480 troubles with docks WD15 and D6000

Hi :)

In our company we are using Dell laptops (7480 and 5480) paired with docking stations (WD15 and D6000). 

All of our users are facing the same issue - We have SSD encryption enabled from BIOS for all devices. When I turn the laptop on (docked) it asks me for the SSD password but I can't enter it from the usb keyboard connected to the docking station. I need to open the lid and enter the password from the laptop keyboard. 

Any suggestions on how to fix that. 

The keyboard/mouse set is k520/m310 Logitech. 

It's not exactly a problem but it's annoying. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2018 06:00

Hi, 

Thanks for getting in touch regarding this issue. I'm fairly certain this issue can be resolved by changing the USB configuration settings in the BIOS. 

Power on the system and repeatedly tap on the F2 key in quick succession
Expand "System Configuration"
Click on USB Configuration
Ensure "Enable USB Boot Support" and "Enable External USB Port" are ticked.
Click Apply and then exit.

If you could try that and let me know how you get on that would be much appreciated.

Alan

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 22nd, 2018 06:00

Go into the BIOS and enable these two options.  The name of the option will depend on whether your systems have the Thunderbolt option, but even if the option says "Thunderbolt", it affects both Thunderbolt and regular USB-C connections:

USB Type-C or Thunderbolt 3 Boot support
USB Type-C or Thunderbolt 3 (and PCIe behind TBT) Pre-boot

That should USB devices at least attached to the WD15 to work during pre-boot, although be aware that having those options enabled can lead to this issue if you ever switch to BitLocker.

For the D6000 dock, if you're attaching it via USB-C, then the above fix should work for that dock as well.  If you're connecting it via USB-A, i.e. "regular USB", then the external keyboard should already be working.

15 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the detailed suggestion but I can't seem to check the Thunderbolt options. They are grayed out in BIOS. Any suggestions why this might be?

In all cases we are using the Type-C with both types of docking stations. I know that the D6000 supports almost all of it's features through USB 3.0 Type-A but we are rarely using that feature (mainly with laptops without type-c). 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@DamyanGatevwrote:

Thanks for the detailed suggestion but I can't seem to check the Thunderbolt options. They are grayed out in BIOS. Any suggestions why this might be?

In all cases we are using the Type-C with both types of docking stations. I know that the D6000 supports almost all of it's features through USB 3.0 Type-A but we are rarely using that feature (mainly with laptops without type-c). 

Hi, 

The reason that Thunderbolt is greyed out is because neither the docks or the systems are Thunderbolt capable. Did you try enabling the USB settings as per my post?

Alan

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

One other somewhat related point to be aware of since you're using HDD passwords.  As of this writing, Dell systems do not support using HDD passwords on NVMe SSDs.  Since you're using them with SSDs, you are presumably using the much slower SATA-based SSDs.  If you ever decide to upgrade your spec to use NVMe SSDs for significantly better performance, then you will not be able to use the passwords you're using today.  So if you haven't already, you may want to start testing something like BitLocker.  Incidentally, you may want to consider switching anyway, since it offers a number of advantages over HDD passwords, particularly in recovery scenarios.  For example, if you were using BitLocker and the laptop died, you could connect its SSD via an external enclosure, which is convenient.  With an HDD password, you would instead have to install that SSD internally in some other laptop to access the data, since external enclosures don't support prompting for an HDD password to unlock the drive.  Additionally, an HDD password means there's only one password to unlock the drive, so if the end user changes it and then forgets it or leaves the company and doesn't tell you the password, then you can't recover the data.  With BitLocker, you can have multiple "protectors" to ensure that your IT department can always unlock drives regardless of the password/PIN the user may have set.  In fact using Group Policy you can even force the BitLocker Recovery Key to be backed up to Active Directory before encryption is enabled.

15 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 23:00

Sorry, I forgot to answer your suggestion. I checked on 3 laptops and on all of them the options were checked by default. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2018 02:00

I would recommend updating the BIOS to the latest revision and the follow the steps outlined in this Docking station article - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308303/dell-usb-c-and-thunderbolt-docks-wd15-tb16-d6000-bios-settings-and-driver-installation-for-troubleshooting?lang=en

Please be advised that if you use Bitlocker on your system, you disable it before updating to the latest BIOS. More info can be found here - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln153694/updating-the-bios-on-dell-systems-with-bitlocker-enabled?lang=en

Alan

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 23rd, 2018 05:00

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

I would recommend updating the BIOS to the latest revision and the follow the steps outlined in this Docking station article - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308303/dell-usb-c-and-thunderbolt-docks-wd15-tb16-d6000-bios-settings-and-driver-installation-for-troubleshooting?lang=en

Please be advised that if you use Bitlocker on your system, you disable it before updating to the latest BIOS. More info can be found here - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln153694/updating-the-bios-on-dell-systems-with-bitlocker-enabled?lang=en

Alan

You should suspend BitLocker before updating the BIOS (unless you want to enter the Recovery Key afterward).  Disabling BitLocker means completely decrypting the drive, which is time-consuming and unnecessary.

15 Posts

May 24th, 2018 23:00

Thanks again. I checked and I have the latest BIOS version and also all drivers for the docking station. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 25th, 2018 02:00

I can't understand why this is failing to resolve the issue as BIOS updates have been released to address the issue and it should be as simple as enabling a few BIOS USB settings. Can you help me out with some additional details please - 

You have mentioned that you have WD15 and D6000 docks. Looking at the previous article I sent it does say for the D6000 dock 

Navigate to Dell Type-C Dock Configuration and select Always Allow Dell Docks.

NOTE: If you are using a D6000 Dock, this option must be disabled.

On systems using the D6000 dock, is this setting enabled or disabled?
On systems using the WD15 dock, is that setting enabled and can you then enable USB support and External USB support?
Have you tried disabling these settings in the BIOS and then re enabling them and applying the changes in the BIOS?

Have you updated the firmware for the docks?

Have you tried non Logitech keyboards and mice on these docks to see if they function at login?

Alan

15 Posts

June 5th, 2018 06:00

What I've tried so far:

Disabling/enabling the USB support and External USB support and also the  Always Allow Dell Docks. 

Updated both the laptop and the dock's firmware and BIOS versions. 

I just tried disabling the D6000 Always Allow Dell Docks but it didn't fix anything.

What I've noticed is that when I turn the laptop on, It doesn't deliver power to the keyboard (I've tried using wired Logitech K120). I've tried plugging the keyboard directly through the laptop (not connected to the dock) and also plugging it in the docking station while the laptop is plugged in also.  The power to the keyboard starts only during the windows loading screen or when I go to BIOS.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 5th, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the update, I'm going to raise this with engineering to see what they say as that should work on both docks. It could be a few days before I can provide an update.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 6th, 2018 01:00

Hi @DamyanGatev

It may be possible to enable USB functionality pre OS by checking the Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS and setting the Security Level to User Authorisation it should work.

Within the BIOS, navigate to "System Configuration"
Click on Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration
Set "Security level - User Authorization"
Click Apply and then Exit

As enabling this may introduce security risks for the company, the system is working as designed with no pre-OS usb functionality via docking stations.

Alan

15 Posts

June 11th, 2018 01:00

Unfortunately, the Thunderbolt options are grayed out.  

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 11th, 2018 04:00

As those options are greyed out I can see no way of changing them. The system is functioning as designed.

Alan

No Events found!