Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 11th, 2018 14:00

Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting to "Turn off the display"

New model -- New problems

Wondering if anyone is seeing an issue like we are having with approximately 10 new Dell Latitude 5490 laptops. 

Each machine's display goes black and the machine "freezes" when attempting to "Turn off the display" in accordance with Power Option settings.  Once the machine "freezes", there is no response when pressing a key or tapping the touchpad other than the keyboard backlight illuminates.

The only thing that will bring the machine out of its coma is by performing a hard shut down by depressing the Power Button for several seconds and then depressing it again to restart.

Also noted that when the display blackout occurs, we lose network connectivity on the onboard NIC.  It's almost like we are encountering a brownout.

The only workaround that we have found is to set the Power Option to "Never" turn off the display.  Only a workaround and definitely not a fix.

Known facts attained during troubleshooting...Yes, this happens with a fresh machine out of the box set up with Dell's supplied image.  Yes, this happens with our image as well which includes the Verdiem Surveyor Agent for "enhanced" Power Management.  Yes, this happens out of the box with BIOS version 1.0.8 or when updated to the latest of 1.1.9.  Yes, this happens with the out of the box drivers OR with all drivers updated via Dell Command Update Utility.  Yes, this happens after bringing down and installing the full driver package using the Dell Command Update Utility.

At a loss for now, but hope to have a resolution soon.  Let me know if any of you have seen this issue with your Latitude 5490.

Thanks in advance!

9.4K Posts

April 12th, 2018 05:00

Hi bigdawg30105,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your systems are not performing as expected.

According to your post, you have purchased several of these units.  Apparently you are either a business or educational facility.  If this is the case, you will have a Technical Account Manager assigned to your company.  The TAM has access to your warranty and services accounts and would be the best source to resolve your issues.

With that said, if you still wish to receive assistance from the Forums, here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Computer Does Not Wake Up or Resume from Suspend/Hibernate Mode

Support for Latitude 5490

3 Posts

June 16th, 2018 23:00

Hey there,

I have exactly the same issue with 5490.

I might add that this also happens sometimes when putting the laptop to sleep (either due to configured timeout or manually via power button).

I have updated everything via Dell Command utility and can confirm the issue with BIOS 1.2.3.
Tried clean Dell image, older Video/Chipset/ME/RST drivers without luck.

Dell - please advise. Are you aware of this?

June 18th, 2018 05:00

I have not witnessed the issue while pressing the Sleep button, but understand how it could happen since the first step in the progressive steps to Sleep mode would be to turn off the monitor.  I can understand how this would happen in this scenario as well as when it tries to enter Sleep from Power Management rules.

For now, the "fix" is a MOBO replacement.  Hopefully, there will be a BIOS update that addresses it soon.

Good luck with yours!

1 Message

June 27th, 2018 08:00

The same issue was happening to me and called Dell who advised that the issue was due to corrupt OS (?!).

An engineer was scheduled to visit to replace my SSD (?!).

Solution that worked for me:

I removed and re-installed Intel Graphics Driver. That's it. Issue resolved.

1 Message

June 28th, 2018 02:00

The same issue, though not easy to reproduce, with one Latitude 5590.

June 28th, 2018 09:00

I have been doing further research on one of our failed machines and have learned that if you delete the Intel UHD Graphics 620 Adapter in Device Manager, making sure that your tick the box to "Uninstall the Driver", the machine will then install the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  Once this adapter is installed, the machine no longer fails.

• I have tried downgrading the Intel driver as far back as Dell's website will allow.  No change.
  • I have downloaded and installed various older and newer Intel drivers from Intel's website.  (Not recommended.)  No change.
  • I have downloaded various Intel UHD Graphics 620 Adapter drivers from other manufacturer's websites, although never recommended.  No change.

The only reasonable explanation is a possible incompatibility with any Intel supplied driver and the Intel CPU.  This brings up another line of questioning for anyone encountering this problem...which Intel CPU is in your machine?  The ~20 affected machines that we have are all i5-8350U CPUs.  Anyone seeing the same issue with another processor??

Thanks in advance for your input!

June 28th, 2018 13:00

Which processor is in your Latitude 5590?

3 Posts

June 30th, 2018 00:00

I have this issue on 5490 with i7-8650U CPU

July 2nd, 2018 08:00

Well, that would blow the theory that this may be confined to one series of Intel processors...if this is, in fact, the exact same issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Message

July 6th, 2018 18:00

I can vouch and say that I am having the same exact issue with one of two identical week old 5590s and so far one of 8 three hour old 5490 models.  5490s have 1.2.3 BIOS and my 5590 have 1.0.8.  I am about to uninstall the Intel video and reinstall like a previous poster suggested.

1 Message

July 9th, 2018 03:00

I am currently working now without the Intel Graphics driver. You don't have to uninstall it, you can just disable it in device manager. this indeed resolves the issue.

I am checking the dell support website each day to see if there's an update for the intel graphics driver which hopefully would fix this issue.

with the generic microsoft display driver you cant adjust your screen brightness or attach a 2nd monitor though, so it's still annoying.

July 9th, 2018 07:00

Actionjx, Please advise which processor is in these machines.  I am trying to determine if it is processor specific. 

4 Posts

July 13th, 2018 16:00

I'm having same problem with latitude 5590.

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 MHz, cores: 4, logic processors: 8

Not sure, but I think problems first occured after April bior/drivers update.

Currently I don't encounter problems, as I disabled sleep wherever possible.

3 Posts

August 6th, 2018 08:00

Hi there,

Do you have any updates? have you found a solution that works for you? 

I recently purchased 3 Dell 5490 laptops for the Office, and all Laptops are set to not sleep or hibernate when lid is closed. However like with you our Laptops are shutting itself down once the lid closes (not immediatel, after a short period of time and it is never the same)

Thanks in advance!

11 Posts

August 8th, 2018 07:00

Is there an update on this?  

I have the latest BIOS and have tried various combinations of video drivers and BIOS settings with no improvement.

I have 10 5490's in production right now and 3 more on the way.  This is a major and unacceptable problem that will result in me returning all of them if this does not get worked out.

This is a full blown crisis for me.

No Events found!