Highlighted

Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting to "Turn off the display"

New model -- New problems

Wondering if anyone is seeing an issue like we are having with approximately 10 new Dell Latitude 5490 laptops. 

Each machine's display goes black and the machine "freezes" when attempting to "Turn off the display" in accordance with Power Option settings.  Once the machine "freezes", there is no response when pressing a key or tapping the touchpad other than the keyboard backlight illuminates.

The only thing that will bring the machine out of its coma is by performing a hard shut down by depressing the Power Button for several seconds and then depressing it again to restart.

Also noted that when the display blackout occurs, we lose network connectivity on the onboard NIC.  It's almost like we are encountering a brownout.

The only workaround that we have found is to set the Power Option to "Never" turn off the display.  Only a workaround and definitely not a fix.

Known facts attained during troubleshooting...Yes, this happens with a fresh machine out of the box set up with Dell's supplied image.  Yes, this happens with our image as well which includes the Verdiem Surveyor Agent for "enhanced" Power Management.  Yes, this happens out of the box with BIOS version 1.0.8 or when updated to the latest of 1.1.9.  Yes, this happens with the out of the box drivers OR with all drivers updated via Dell Command Update Utility.  Yes, this happens after bringing down and installing the full driver package using the Dell Command Update Utility.

At a loss for now, but hope to have a resolution soon.  Let me know if any of you have seen this issue with your Latitude 5490.

Thanks in advance!

51 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting to "Turn off the display"

Hi bigdawg30105,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your systems are not performing as expected.

According to your post, you have purchased several of these units.  Apparently you are either a business or educational facility.  If this is the case, you will have a Technical Account Manager assigned to your company.  The TAM has access to your warranty and services accounts and would be the best source to resolve your issues.

With that said, if you still wish to receive assistance from the Forums, here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Computer Does Not Wake Up or Resume from Suspend/Hibernate Mode

Support for Latitude 5490

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting

Hey there,

I have exactly the same issue with 5490.

I might add that this also happens sometimes when putting the laptop to sleep (either due to configured timeout or manually via power button).

I have updated everything via Dell Command utility and can confirm the issue with BIOS 1.2.3.
Tried clean Dell image, older Video/Chipset/ME/RST drivers without luck.

Dell - please advise. Are you aware of this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have not witnessed the issue while pressing the Sleep button, but understand how it could happen since the first step in the progressive steps to Sleep mode would be to turn off the monitor.  I can understand how this would happen in this scenario as well as when it tries to enter Sleep from Power Management rules.

For now, the "fix" is a MOBO replacement.  Hopefully, there will be a BIOS update that addresses it soon.

Good luck with yours!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

The same issue was happening to me and called Dell who advised that the issue was due to corrupt OS (?!).

An engineer was scheduled to visit to replace my SSD (?!).

Solution that worked for me:

I removed and re-installed Intel Graphics Driver. That's it. Issue resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

The same issue, though not easy to reproduce, with one Latitude 5590.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have been doing further research on one of our failed machines and have learned that if you delete the Intel UHD Graphics 620 Adapter in Device Manager, making sure that your tick the box to "Uninstall the Driver", the machine will then install the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  Once this adapter is installed, the machine no longer fails.

• I have tried downgrading the Intel driver as far back as Dell's website will allow.  No change.
  • I have downloaded and installed various older and newer Intel drivers from Intel's website.  (Not recommended.)  No change.
  • I have downloaded various Intel UHD Graphics 620 Adapter drivers from other manufacturer's websites, although never recommended.  No change.

The only reasonable explanation is a possible incompatibility with any Intel supplied driver and the Intel CPU.  This brings up another line of questioning for anyone encountering this problem...which Intel CPU is in your machine?  The ~20 affected machines that we have are all i5-8350U CPUs.  Anyone seeing the same issue with another processor??

Thanks in advance for your input!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have this issue on 5490 with i7-8650U CPU

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, that would blow the theory that this may be confined to one series of Intel processors...if this is, in fact, the exact same issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
1 Copper

I can vouch and say that I am having the same exact issue with one of two identical week old 5590s and so far one of 8 three hour old 5490 models.  5490s have 1.2.3 BIOS and my 5590 have 1.0.8.  I am about to uninstall the Intel video and reinstall like a previous poster suggested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Actionjx, Please advise which processor is in these machines.  I am trying to determine if it is processor specific. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm having same problem with latitude 5590.

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 MHz, cores: 4, logic processors: 8

Not sure, but I think problems first occured after April bior/drivers update.

Currently I don't encounter problems, as I disabled sleep wherever possible.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi there,

Do you have any updates? have you found a solution that works for you? 

I recently purchased 3 Dell 5490 laptops for the Office, and all Laptops are set to not sleep or hibernate when lid is closed. However like with you our Laptops are shutting itself down once the lid closes (not immediatel, after a short period of time and it is never the same)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Is there an update on this?  

I have the latest BIOS and have tried various combinations of video drivers and BIOS settings with no improvement.

I have 10 5490's in production right now and 3 more on the way.  This is a major and unacceptable problem that will result in me returning all of them if this does not get worked out.

This is a full blown crisis for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have tested a Dell workaround that disables the S5 and S6 power management in the registry, and it appears to work.  A bit quirky in that it seems to "re-find" a device when it returns from the Sleep state and gives the Windows "Reconnect" sound.

Per Dell, the workaround will be incorporated into an Intel graphics driver some time in August.

With that said, there seems to be some progress being made.

For now I would set Power Management to "Never" turn off the display, and hold out for the updated graphics driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the power management set to only turn off the screens and not SLEEP or HIBERNATE.  I just found a DISABLE SLEEP setting in the BIOS and have enabled that on a few of the 5490's to see if that will resolve the issue.  

Can you share the registry entries Dell gave you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

As I stated, it is best to set it to "Never" turn off the display.  It is not a "Sleep" or "Hibernate" issue, but instead an event that occurs when trying to turn off the display itself.

So as not to put myself in a liability situation, I would prefer not to share the registry file but that you contact Dell Support or your TAM and ask for it.  My assumption is that this is still a BETA and Dell should be the one supplying that to you.

Trust me, I share your frustration with this...as I have been working through this since April.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Display Power Setting... got it.  I will try that.

In case someone else is reading this we have noticed that it is MUCH more prevalent on people who WIN+L to lock their laptops but does occur on all the 5490's at some point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

VERY EARLY UPDATE: This has resolved the issue on my most frustrated users PC.  She frequently presses WIN+L to lock the PC and then leaves for 30 mins and so far, her 5490 has stayed operational now that the screens are set to not go to sleep.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I did not receive a single user complaint today so setting the screens to NOT power off appears to be a solid work around.

Does anyone have an update on when Dell/Intel expects the new display driver to be released?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well, that is frustrating.  1 of 10 5490's crashed on Friday and at least 1 of 10 crashed over the weekend even with the DISPLAY TURN OFF set to NEVER.

Dell... Does anyone have an update from Dell?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Please elaborate on "crashed".  Did the machines exhibit the BSOD, did they go back to the original problem, etc?

As an FYI...if you are running any third-party Power Management software, such as Verdiem Surveyor Agent or another, you may have to disable or uninstall that software.  Our Surveyor Agent had to be uninstalled on the Latitude 5490's, otherwise the same problem would occur as the agent attempted to turn off the display.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes, they BSOD'

We have no third party (not even Dell's) power mgt software.  I built a nice clean Win10 1803 image (Office 2016, Paint.NET, ... et al) without any Dell add on's.  After the problems started to appear, I tried the Dell video driver but that did not help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ok, received a link to the updated Intel Graphics card driver that patches the issue.

The updated driver may be found here:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GG5FR

As of yesterday, this new driver would not install via the Dell Command Update utility and had to be downloaded directly from the provided link.

The only idiosyncrasy noted after the update is that you get an occasional "Disconnect" and/or "Reconnect" tone from Windows 10 several seconds after the display(s) turn "Off" or "On". 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for the heads up. I have just installed:

- all of the new Dell drivers including the BIOS and Video Driver https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-14-5490-laptop/drivers

- all of the Aug 2018 Win10 1803 patches

Let see what happens now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi, Any update from anyone, did the drivers fix the issue?  We were just getting ready to RMA a few because of this but I saw the driver with fixes and will hold and test them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Justin-Arivale, I have installed the updated driver on approximately 6 machines now with no reported issues post-install.

I am preparing to push it out to approximately 150 more machines.

At last glance, the newest driver is still not installing via the Dell Command Update utility so it is still a manual download and install.

Good luck with yours!

Highlighted
1 Copper

So far so good for us.  Just in time too, we were ready to RMA a couple since we had a few that worked fine, specifically new ones we had received and 4 out of 5 old ones had both the black screen and blue screen issues.  We have some other models 7390 that also appear better now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi, do you know if there is any driver updates or workaround for Ubuntu 18.04.1 ?

My friend have the same model "dell latitude 5490" with Ubuntu and the same above issues.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry, not familiar with any OS outside of Windows.

Perhaps there are others who can advise on this.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

We at Verdiem, maker's of the Surveyor product, would be happy to assist ANY Surveyor customer in using Surveyor to resolve this problem.  You can work-around this problem, until you have updated drivers that fix the problem, with a few settings changes within Surveyor.  Please contact us at: <Email id removed>

Highlighted
1 Copper

Can any1 from dell confirm that this problem is solved, otherwise I might change my mind in buying this particular machine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I turned off the connected standby via regedit, so far so good. It seems a S0 related issue on supported hardwares. Keep in S1 or S3 makes it good to go.

Highlighted

I'm not a Dell rep, but an IS Hardware Manager.  Our Team is using the latest Intel Graphics driver for the Latitude 5490 that remediates the issue with no further problems to report.  The driver also addresses some issues on other Latitude xx90 series machines.

Highlighted
1 Copper

We managed to fix the issue, a Dell engineer had to replace the motherboard of the machine.

After that it worked perfectly fine. Its been like 2 weeks since the fix

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks James, but Dell has implemented a new Intel Graphics driver that resolves the issue.

We are having success with that driver, and no additional issues reported on those that have been updated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi, We also recently purchased around 10 Dell Latitude 5490 i7 8th Gen Laptop as of now we have allocated the 6 laptop all the 6 also having some issues. Laptop will freeze and display goes black and the machine "freezes" when attempting to "Turn off the display" in accordance with Power Option settings. Once the machine "freezes", there is no response when pressing a key or tapping the touchpad other than the keyboard backlight illuminates. The only thing that will bring up the machine a hard shut down by depressing the Power Button for several seconds and then depressing it again to restart. And also few laptop is having performance issues like spreadsheets and photos application and windows exploror loading delay and not responding these are brand new laptops. We tried to resolve this update OS lasted buld version ( Win 10, 10.0.17134 Build 17134) and BIOS update ( 1.3.2,)too but still issues not resolved few laptops. Please let us know if any one having fix for this. Thanks Durai
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Try to disable S0 (Connected Standby) via registry. I had the same issue but fixed after keep back to S3. Using "powercfg -a" via command line to see what mode your laptop is in. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] "CsEnabled"=dword:00000000
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

I have had never turn of my display set on my laptop since this issue first came to my attention but still does not work for me. do you suggest anything else?

appreciated 

Zain 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I am currently working now without the Intel Graphics driver. You don't have to uninstall it, you can just disable it in device manager. this indeed resolves the issue.

I am checking the dell support website each day to see if there's an update for the intel graphics driver which hopefully would fix this issue.

with the generic microsoft display driver you cant adjust your screen brightness or attach a 2nd monitor though, so it's still annoying.

Highlighted

Which processor is in your Latitude 5590?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same issue here. We have it set so only the screen turns off after 90 minutes. It will turn back on after moving the mouse. But I tried leaving it over night since the complaint was made that after a few hours it will not come back on. I cam in the morning and the screen did not come on after moving he mouse. The system does not freeze though. After thinking about it I tried to remote in and success even though no screen (unless I reboot). So I tried hooking up an external screen to see if that would work and while remoting in, change it to duplicate displays. I does not even recognize the added display. 

Thinking bad video?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Mark Fratto I have a 5490 in front of me running Windows 10 that I have been using every work day for the last 4 months and if the system goes in to a period of inactivity over 15 minutes or so it goes into modern standby mode. It will not resume from this mode by pressing the keyboard keys or moving the mouse. You need to tap the power button and the system will take approximately 15 seconds to bring you back to the log on screen.

It sounds like the system is working as designed as per Microsoft Windows 10 modern standby principals.

If you try that what happens with the system?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm having the same issue; the case being the computer isn't actually going to sleep, only the display is turning off because of inactivity. Moving the mouse or pressing a key is normally enough to turn the screen back on, but all it does is cause the keyboard backlight to turn on (which it wouldn't do were it actually asleep, as opposed to just having an unresponsive display).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@submarinescreendoor that sounds like the system hasn't been setup properly to enter sleep mode. Can you help me out with some additional troubleshooting details please -

a) Has this issue always been present or is it something that has only happened recently?
b) What version of Windows are you running?
c) Does the system enter sleep mode properly if you close the screen over or press the power button?
d) Are you running the latest BIOS and drivers on the system?

My suggestion would be to work through the steps outlined in this Non Dell article about sleep mode - https://windowsreport.com/computer-wont-go-sleep/

If you are still having problems after that I would recommend more in depth troubleshooting as per our article - https://www.dell.com/support/article/jm/en/jmbsdt1/sln309800/windows-10-troubleshooting-sleep-hibern...

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Same issue with about 12 units so far, same model.  My org purchased about 80 of these.  Nothing seems to fix except replacing motherboards which is what we've been asking Dell to do.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

So you are saying that the driver listed here does not work for you?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GG5FR&osCode=WT64A&produc...

We have had success with just the driver update.

Remember, it is best to have all drivers updated on these machines once tested.  Generally, a two week test of updated drivers for a specific model is a "best practice" prior to pushing the updates to all of that model.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

No, it is not for latitude 5290 2 in 1, unless force to install it via device manager -> update manually. BTW, my 5290 2 in 1 has been sold to a friend. It is OK since I disable S0 (connected Standby). Not sure why. My xps 15 9575 is on the way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same issue on an Insprion 7373 2-in-1.  The listed Dell driver would not install - it threw a prerequisite missing error - but I instead downloaded and installed the latest version of that driver from Intel's site.  So far, so good! <fingers crossed>.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

@AndrewC76 wrote:

I have the same issue on an Insprion 7373 2-in-1.  The listed Dell driver would not install - it threw a prerequisite missing error - but I instead downloaded and installed the latest version of that driver from Intel's site.  So far, so good! <fingers crossed>.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

Scratch that.  For short idle times, I don't seem to be having any issues.  If I leave it for twelve hours or more, it likes to still hang on the black screen.  I'll be trying the reg hack to see if that helps and then report back.

0 Kudos