actionjx
1 Copper

Re: Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting

I can vouch and say that I am having the same exact issue with one of two identical week old 5590s and so far one of 8 three hour old 5490 models.  5490s have 1.2.3 BIOS and my 5590 have 1.0.8.  I am about to uninstall the Intel video and reinstall like a previous poster suggested.

0 Kudos
outlax2
1 Copper

I am currently working now without the Intel Graphics driver. You don't have to uninstall it, you can just disable it in device manager. this indeed resolves the issue.

I am checking the dell support website each day to see if there's an update for the intel graphics driver which hopefully would fix this issue.

with the generic microsoft display driver you cant adjust your screen brightness or attach a 2nd monitor though, so it's still annoying.

Highlighted
bigdawg30105
1 Nickel

Actionjx, Please advise which processor is in these machines.  I am trying to determine if it is processor specific. 

0 Kudos
vbvbvb
1 Copper

I'm having same problem with latitude 5590.

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 MHz, cores: 4, logic processors: 8

Not sure, but I think problems first occured after April bior/drivers update.

Currently I don't encounter problems, as I disabled sleep wherever possible.

Zain Din
1 Copper

Hi there,

Do you have any updates? have you found a solution that works for you? 

I recently purchased 3 Dell 5490 laptops for the Office, and all Laptops are set to not sleep or hibernate when lid is closed. However like with you our Laptops are shutting itself down once the lid closes (not immediatel, after a short period of time and it is never the same)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
imatthews
1 Nickel

Is there an update on this?  

I have the latest BIOS and have tried various combinations of video drivers and BIOS settings with no improvement.

I have 10 5490's in production right now and 3 more on the way.  This is a major and unacceptable problem that will result in me returning all of them if this does not get worked out.

This is a full blown crisis for me.

0 Kudos
bigdawg30105
1 Nickel

I have tested a Dell workaround that disables the S5 and S6 power management in the registry, and it appears to work.  A bit quirky in that it seems to "re-find" a device when it returns from the Sleep state and gives the Windows "Reconnect" sound.

Per Dell, the workaround will be incorporated into an Intel graphics driver some time in August.

With that said, there seems to be some progress being made.

For now I would set Power Management to "Never" turn off the display, and hold out for the updated graphics driver.

0 Kudos
imatthews
1 Nickel

I have the power management set to only turn off the screens and not SLEEP or HIBERNATE.  I just found a DISABLE SLEEP setting in the BIOS and have enabled that on a few of the 5490's to see if that will resolve the issue.  

Can you share the registry entries Dell gave you?

0 Kudos
bigdawg30105
1 Nickel

As I stated, it is best to set it to "Never" turn off the display.  It is not a "Sleep" or "Hibernate" issue, but instead an event that occurs when trying to turn off the display itself.

So as not to put myself in a liability situation, I would prefer not to share the registry file but that you contact Dell Support or your TAM and ask for it.  My assumption is that this is still a BETA and Dell should be the one supplying that to you.

Trust me, I share your frustration with this...as I have been working through this since April.

0 Kudos
imatthews
1 Nickel

Display Power Setting... got it.  I will try that.

In case someone else is reading this we have noticed that it is MUCH more prevalent on people who WIN+L to lock their laptops but does occur on all the 5490's at some point.

0 Kudos