Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 11th, 2018 14:00

Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting to "Turn off the display"

New model -- New problems

Wondering if anyone is seeing an issue like we are having with approximately 10 new Dell Latitude 5490 laptops. 

Each machine's display goes black and the machine "freezes" when attempting to "Turn off the display" in accordance with Power Option settings.  Once the machine "freezes", there is no response when pressing a key or tapping the touchpad other than the keyboard backlight illuminates.

The only thing that will bring the machine out of its coma is by performing a hard shut down by depressing the Power Button for several seconds and then depressing it again to restart.

Also noted that when the display blackout occurs, we lose network connectivity on the onboard NIC.  It's almost like we are encountering a brownout.

The only workaround that we have found is to set the Power Option to "Never" turn off the display.  Only a workaround and definitely not a fix.

Known facts attained during troubleshooting...Yes, this happens with a fresh machine out of the box set up with Dell's supplied image.  Yes, this happens with our image as well which includes the Verdiem Surveyor Agent for "enhanced" Power Management.  Yes, this happens out of the box with BIOS version 1.0.8 or when updated to the latest of 1.1.9.  Yes, this happens with the out of the box drivers OR with all drivers updated via Dell Command Update Utility.  Yes, this happens after bringing down and installing the full driver package using the Dell Command Update Utility.

At a loss for now, but hope to have a resolution soon.  Let me know if any of you have seen this issue with your Latitude 5490.

Thanks in advance!

August 8th, 2018 07:00

As I stated, it is best to set it to "Never" turn off the display.  It is not a "Sleep" or "Hibernate" issue, but instead an event that occurs when trying to turn off the display itself.

So as not to put myself in a liability situation, I would prefer not to share the registry file but that you contact Dell Support or your TAM and ask for it.  My assumption is that this is still a BETA and Dell should be the one supplying that to you.

Trust me, I share your frustration with this...as I have been working through this since April.

I have tested a Dell workaround that disables the S5 and S6 power management in the registry, and it appears to work.  A bit quirky in that it seems to "re-find" a device when it returns from the Sleep state and gives the Windows "Reconnect" sound.

Per Dell, the workaround will be incorporated into an Intel graphics driver some time in August.

With that said, there seems to be some progress being made.

For now I would set Power Management to "Never" turn off the display, and hold out for the updated graphics driver.

11 Posts

Display Power Setting... got it.  I will try that.

In case someone else is reading this we have noticed that it is MUCH more prevalent on people who WIN+L to lock their laptops but does occur on all the 5490's at some point.

11 Posts

I have the power management set to only turn off the screens and not SLEEP or HIBERNATE.  I just found a DISABLE SLEEP setting in the BIOS and have enabled that on a few of the 5490's to see if that will resolve the issue.  

Can you share the registry entries Dell gave you?

11 Posts

August 8th, 2018 11:00

VERY EARLY UPDATE: This has resolved the issue on my most frustrated users PC.  She frequently presses WIN+L to lock the PC and then leaves for 30 mins and so far, her 5490 has stayed operational now that the screens are set to not go to sleep.

11 Posts

August 9th, 2018 11:00

I did not receive a single user complaint today so setting the screens to NOT power off appears to be a solid work around.

Does anyone have an update on when Dell/Intel expects the new display driver to be released?

11 Posts

August 13th, 2018 05:00

Well, that is frustrating.  1 of 10 5490's crashed on Friday and at least 1 of 10 crashed over the weekend even with the DISPLAY TURN OFF set to NEVER.

Dell... Does anyone have an update from Dell?

August 13th, 2018 09:00

Please elaborate on "crashed".  Did the machines exhibit the BSOD, did they go back to the original problem, etc?

As an FYI...if you are running any third-party Power Management software, such as Verdiem Surveyor Agent or another, you may have to disable or uninstall that software.  Our Surveyor Agent had to be uninstalled on the Latitude 5490's, otherwise the same problem would occur as the agent attempted to turn off the display.

11 Posts

August 13th, 2018 14:00

Yes, they BSOD'

We have no third party (not even Dell's) power mgt software.  I built a nice clean Win10 1803 image (Office 2016, Paint.NET, ... et al) without any Dell add on's.  After the problems started to appear, I tried the Dell video driver but that did not help.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2018 02:00

Hi,

I have had never turn of my display set on my laptop since this issue first came to my attention but still does not work for me. do you suggest anything else?

appreciated 

Zain 

August 14th, 2018 07:00

Ok, received a link to the updated Intel Graphics card driver that patches the issue.

The updated driver may be found here:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GG5FR

As of yesterday, this new driver would not install via the Dell Command Update utility and had to be downloaded directly from the provided link.

The only idiosyncrasy noted after the update is that you get an occasional "Disconnect" and/or "Reconnect" tone from Windows 10 several seconds after the display(s) turn "Off" or "On". 

11 Posts

August 15th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for the heads up. I have just installed:

- all of the new Dell drivers including the BIOS and Video Driver https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-14-5490-laptop/drivers

- all of the Aug 2018 Win10 1803 patches

Let see what happens now.

August 20th, 2018 16:00

Hi, Any update from anyone, did the drivers fix the issue?  We were just getting ready to RMA a few because of this but I saw the driver with fixes and will hold and test them.

August 24th, 2018 07:00

Justin-Arivale, I have installed the updated driver on approximately 6 machines now with no reported issues post-install.

I am preparing to push it out to approximately 150 more machines.

At last glance, the newest driver is still not installing via the Dell Command Update utility so it is still a manual download and install.

Good luck with yours!

10 Posts

August 29th, 2018 11:00

Hi, do you know if there is any driver updates or workaround for Ubuntu 18.04.1 ?

My friend have the same model "dell latitude 5490" with Ubuntu and the same above issues.

Thanks!

No Events found!