Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 11th, 2018 14:00

Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting to "Turn off the display"

New model -- New problems

Wondering if anyone is seeing an issue like we are having with approximately 10 new Dell Latitude 5490 laptops. 

Each machine's display goes black and the machine "freezes" when attempting to "Turn off the display" in accordance with Power Option settings.  Once the machine "freezes", there is no response when pressing a key or tapping the touchpad other than the keyboard backlight illuminates.

The only thing that will bring the machine out of its coma is by performing a hard shut down by depressing the Power Button for several seconds and then depressing it again to restart.

Also noted that when the display blackout occurs, we lose network connectivity on the onboard NIC.  It's almost like we are encountering a brownout.

The only workaround that we have found is to set the Power Option to "Never" turn off the display.  Only a workaround and definitely not a fix.

Known facts attained during troubleshooting...Yes, this happens with a fresh machine out of the box set up with Dell's supplied image.  Yes, this happens with our image as well which includes the Verdiem Surveyor Agent for "enhanced" Power Management.  Yes, this happens out of the box with BIOS version 1.0.8 or when updated to the latest of 1.1.9.  Yes, this happens with the out of the box drivers OR with all drivers updated via Dell Command Update Utility.  Yes, this happens after bringing down and installing the full driver package using the Dell Command Update Utility.

At a loss for now, but hope to have a resolution soon.  Let me know if any of you have seen this issue with your Latitude 5490.

Thanks in advance!

August 30th, 2018 09:00

Sorry, not familiar with any OS outside of Windows.

Perhaps there are others who can advise on this.

Good luck!

August 30th, 2018 17:00

So far so good for us.  Just in time too, we were ready to RMA a couple since we had a few that worked fine, specifically new ones we had received and 4 out of 5 old ones had both the black screen and blue screen issues.  We have some other models 7390 that also appear better now.

September 20th, 2018 13:00

We at Verdiem, maker's of the Surveyor product, would be happy to assist ANY Surveyor customer in using Surveyor to resolve this problem.  You can work-around this problem, until you have updated drivers that fix the problem, with a few settings changes within Surveyor.  Please contact us at: 

1 Message

September 20th, 2018 16:00

Can any1 from dell confirm that this problem is solved, otherwise I might change my mind in buying this particular machine.

September 20th, 2018 17:00

I turned off the connected standby via regedit, so far so good. It seems a S0 related issue on supported hardwares. Keep in S1 or S3 makes it good to go.

September 21st, 2018 05:00

Thanks James, but Dell has implemented a new Intel Graphics driver that resolves the issue.

We are having success with that driver, and no additional issues reported on those that have been updated.

September 21st, 2018 06:00

I'm not a Dell rep, but an IS Hardware Manager.  Our Team is using the latest Intel Graphics driver for the Latitude 5490 that remediates the issue with no further problems to report.  The driver also addresses some issues on other Latitude xx90 series machines.

3 Posts

September 25th, 2018 04:00

We managed to fix the issue, a Dell engineer had to replace the motherboard of the machine.

After that it worked perfectly fine. Its been like 2 weeks since the fix

October 10th, 2018 12:00

Same issue with about 12 units so far, same model.  My org purchased about 80 of these.  Nothing seems to fix except replacing motherboards which is what we've been asking Dell to do.  

October 10th, 2018 12:00

So you are saying that the driver listed here does not work for you?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GG5FR&osCode=WT64A&productCode=latitude-14-5490-laptop

We have had success with just the driver update.

Remember, it is best to have all drivers updated on these machines once tested.  Generally, a two week test of updated drivers for a specific model is a "best practice" prior to pushing the updates to all of that model.

October 10th, 2018 16:00

No, it is not for latitude 5290 2 in 1, unless force to install it via device manager -> update manually. BTW, my 5290 2 in 1 has been sold to a friend. It is OK since I disable S0 (connected Standby). Not sure why. My xps 15 9575 is on the way.

2 Posts

October 17th, 2018 11:00

I have the same issue on an Insprion 7373 2-in-1.  The listed Dell driver would not install - it threw a prerequisite missing error - but I instead downloaded and installed the latest version of that driver from Intel's site.  So far, so good! .

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

2 Posts

October 19th, 2018 05:00

@AndrewC76 wrote:

I have the same issue on an Insprion 7373 2-in-1.  The listed Dell driver would not install - it threw a prerequisite missing error - but I instead downloaded and installed the latest version of that driver from Intel's site.  So far, so good! .

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

Scratch that.  For short idle times, I don't seem to be having any issues.  If I leave it for twelve hours or more, it likes to still hang on the black screen.  I'll be trying the reg hack to see if that helps and then report back.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2018 05:00

Hi, We also recently purchased around 10 Dell Latitude 5490 i7 8th Gen Laptop as of now we have allocated the 6 laptop all the 6 also having some issues. Laptop will freeze and display goes black and the machine "freezes" when attempting to "Turn off the display" in accordance with Power Option settings. Once the machine "freezes", there is no response when pressing a key or tapping the touchpad other than the keyboard backlight illuminates. The only thing that will bring up the machine a hard shut down by depressing the Power Button for several seconds and then depressing it again to restart. And also few laptop is having performance issues like spreadsheets and photos application and windows exploror loading delay and not responding these are brand new laptops. We tried to resolve this update OS lasted buld version ( Win 10, 10.0.17134 Build 17134) and BIOS update ( 1.3.2,)too but still issues not resolved few laptops. Please let us know if any one having fix for this. Thanks Durai

October 23rd, 2018 19:00

Try to disable S0 (Connected Standby) via registry. I had the same issue but fixed after keep back to S3. Using "powercfg -a" via command line to see what mode your laptop is in. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] "CsEnabled"=dword:00000000
No Events found!