Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 11th, 2018 14:00

Dell Latitude 5490 -- Ceases functioning when attempting to "Turn off the display"

New model -- New problems

Wondering if anyone is seeing an issue like we are having with approximately 10 new Dell Latitude 5490 laptops. 

Each machine's display goes black and the machine "freezes" when attempting to "Turn off the display" in accordance with Power Option settings.  Once the machine "freezes", there is no response when pressing a key or tapping the touchpad other than the keyboard backlight illuminates.

The only thing that will bring the machine out of its coma is by performing a hard shut down by depressing the Power Button for several seconds and then depressing it again to restart.

Also noted that when the display blackout occurs, we lose network connectivity on the onboard NIC.  It's almost like we are encountering a brownout.

The only workaround that we have found is to set the Power Option to "Never" turn off the display.  Only a workaround and definitely not a fix.

Known facts attained during troubleshooting...Yes, this happens with a fresh machine out of the box set up with Dell's supplied image.  Yes, this happens with our image as well which includes the Verdiem Surveyor Agent for "enhanced" Power Management.  Yes, this happens out of the box with BIOS version 1.0.8 or when updated to the latest of 1.1.9.  Yes, this happens with the out of the box drivers OR with all drivers updated via Dell Command Update Utility.  Yes, this happens after bringing down and installing the full driver package using the Dell Command Update Utility.

At a loss for now, but hope to have a resolution soon.  Let me know if any of you have seen this issue with your Latitude 5490.

Thanks in advance!

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 20:00

I suspect there may be issues with the initial 8th Gen CPU boards. Apart from several other issues such as BSODs on several brand new 7x90s and even one that caught fire in our company, I have personally gone through 5 x 7390 boards before getting one where the sleep function (and everything else) worked properly. I got my first 7390 in May this year and had the board replaced straight away due to BSODs then it was replaced again for BSODs, sleep and overheating issues but the problem still persisted and the tech also damaged some components of the case so the whole thing was replaced (August) and that still had sleep issues + bright pixel on the screen so that was replaced again with one built just a couple of weeks ago. This new one finally seems to be working perfectly with both manual and auto suspend and sleep working perfectly in Windows 10 (Fresh install, build 1803) and with Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish). The installation I'm using at the moment is actually the same installation (I transferred the drive) as the previous laptop that was having trouble and it's working fine as well. I haven't sent the other one back yet and both are running the same BIOS version. If I transfer the drive back in to the other 7390 the issues come back straight away.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 20:00

I

1 Message

August 21st, 2019 05:00

Same issue here. We have it set so only the screen turns off after 90 minutes. It will turn back on after moving the mouse. But I tried leaving it over night since the complaint was made that after a few hours it will not come back on. I cam in the morning and the screen did not come on after moving he mouse. The system does not freeze though. After thinking about it I tried to remote in and success even though no screen (unless I reboot). So I tried hooking up an external screen to see if that would work and while remoting in, change it to duplicate displays. I does not even recognize the added display. 

Thinking bad video?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2019 07:00

@Mark Fratto I have a 5490 in front of me running Windows 10 that I have been using every work day for the last 4 months and if the system goes in to a period of inactivity over 15 minutes or so it goes into modern standby mode. It will not resume from this mode by pressing the keyboard keys or moving the mouse. You need to tap the power button and the system will take approximately 15 seconds to bring you back to the log on screen.

It sounds like the system is working as designed as per Microsoft Windows 10 modern standby principals.

If you try that what happens with the system?

Alan

September 11th, 2019 10:00

I'm having the same issue; the case being the computer isn't actually going to sleep, only the display is turning off because of inactivity. Moving the mouse or pressing a key is normally enough to turn the screen back on, but all it does is cause the keyboard backlight to turn on (which it wouldn't do were it actually asleep, as opposed to just having an unresponsive display).

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 12th, 2019 03:00

@submarinescreendoor that sounds like the system hasn't been setup properly to enter sleep mode. Can you help me out with some additional troubleshooting details please -

a) Has this issue always been present or is it something that has only happened recently?
b) What version of Windows are you running?
c) Does the system enter sleep mode properly if you close the screen over or press the power button?
d) Are you running the latest BIOS and drivers on the system?

My suggestion would be to work through the steps outlined in this Non Dell article about sleep mode - https://windowsreport.com/computer-wont-go-sleep/

If you are still having problems after that I would recommend more in depth troubleshooting as per our article - https://www.dell.com/support/article/jm/en/jmbsdt1/sln309800/windows-10-troubleshooting-sleep-hibernation-issues-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details.

Alan

2 Posts

May 8th, 2021 23:00

Same issue in 2021, laptop still under warranty... will call DELL tomorrow to replace motherboard.

All settings up to date, BIOS, chipset, intel graphics... 

Dell even made the news about a critical security issue with its own update driver elevating priveleges. 

But the Latitude 5490 random shuts down, there are no event log or reliability monitors to point to anything specific, other then a faulty CPU! 

No Events found!