Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2023 13:00

Dell Latitude 5490 - Hardware Faults After Resetting BIOS

Hi

I decommissioned a Dell Latitude 5490, did a data wipe and I decided to reset the BIOS and chose the 'Restore Factory Defaults' option which successfully reset the BIOS however, after restarting the laptop the screen immediately went very dim, the backlight on the keyboard does not illuminate and the power button light does not come on at all.

I have updated the BIOS, I checked to see if the brightness for the screen is correct in which it is, I then checked to see if the backlight for the keyboard was disabled in which it is also not and this has not worked either. My last resort was to update the BIOS to 1.26.0 which has not helped either.

I am out of ideas now and would appreciate and support I can get.

Kind regards

Lewis Brumby

January 27th, 2023 02:00

Hi ewongsmx

Thank you for your swift response and apologies for my late response.

I have rectified the problem myself, the problem was being caused by the laptop hinge being lose, so when the laptop lid is closed it would

dim the display and turn off the keyboard backlight, but for some reason it was the opposite way round and this was due to lose screws.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Kind regards

Lewis Brumby

176 Posts

January 25th, 2023 14:00

It sounds like there may be an issue with the hardware of the laptop after the BIOS reset. Some possible causes could be related to the backlight circuit or the power button circuit.

I would recommend trying the following steps:

Check the power supply and ensure that it is providing enough power to the laptop.
Check the connection between the display and the motherboard, ensure that it is properly plugged in and secure.
Check the backlight circuit itself, try to see if the backlight is functioning normally by shining a flashlight on the display.
Try disconnecting the battery and holding down the power button for 30 seconds, then reconnect the battery and try to power on the laptop.
If the problem persists after trying these steps, it may be necessary to have the laptop serviced by a professional technician. They will be able to diagnose and repair the issue.

No Events found!