Highlighted

Dell Latitude 7285 keyboard issue

Hello!

Sometimes keys get "stuck" like this, for example I type "okay", but could get "okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" ("y" will stay "stuck" unless I press another button) or "okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay".

This issue does not happen in preinstalled Windows, so this is not electronic defect. 
This issue happen in exactly same way on two separate units (not reproducible in Windows, but reproducible with Linux, in a range from 4.13 to 4.17777777 - this is happened again, as you can see).
This also could happen with keys like backspace, enter, del, alt, ctrl, or any other.
Happen from few times per day to few dozens times per day. Distribution is Ubuntu 18.04.

I seen keyboard issue with XPS 9370 which turns out to be bug in BIOS: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-Keyboard-Skips-Button-Presses/td-p/5835431 so I guess in case of Latitude 7285 "stuck" keys could be BIOS issue too (which for some reason doesn't manifest in Windows) so is it possible to check this from Dell side, or I am on my own with this one?

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell Latitude 7285 keyboard issue

@RussianNeuroMancer - I have responded to your direct message about this issue.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
Krzbk
1 Copper

I confirm, the same effect is observed on the Dell Latitude 7285, both on keyboard keys and on the keys of the tablet body. This is especially true for volume keys. Once pressed the button and because of the 'sticking of the keys' the volume can change instantly from the maximum to the minimum or vice versa.

Highlighted

@Krzbk wrote:

I confirm, the same effect is observed on the Dell Latitude 7285, both on keyboard keys and on the keys of the tablet body. This is especially true for volume keys. Once pressed the button and because of the 'sticking of the keys' the volume can change instantly from the maximum to the minimum or vice versa.

Do you observe this effect in Windows 10 or in some Linux? What BIOS version is flashed? 

Highlighted
Krzbk
1 Copper

This is observed on Ubuntu 18.04.1, BIOS - 1.1.6. The same effect was observed on previous versions of the BIOS and on previous versions of Ubuntu.

Highlighted

@Krzbk wrote:

This is observed on Ubuntu 18.04.1, BIOS - 1.1.6. The same effect was observed on previous versions of the BIOS and on previous versions of Ubuntu.

@Krzbk Ubuntu in all it's versions have not been certified for use on the 7285. We are unable to provide support for any issues that you may encounter when running Ubuntu on these 2 in 1 systems.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
Krzbk
1 Copper

Then why did you say: 'BIOS update should resolve this issue for you.'?

Highlighted

@Krzbk when you posted you didn't advise whether you were running the system on Linux or Windows. If you are running the system on Windows the BIOS update should fix the issue.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
Krzbk
1 Copper

I understood. But it's strange that updating the BIOS solves the problem for one system and does not solve for another. Probably it should be done in a way that issue is solved regardless of running OS?

Highlighted

@Krzbk wrote:

I understood. But it's strange that updating the BIOS solves the problem for one system and does not solve for another. Probably it should be done in a way that issue is solved regardless of running OS?

@Krzbk as Ubuntu has not been certified by Canonical for use on this system we can't guarantee full functionality and compatibility. We can only provide support on operating systems that are certified for use.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell