Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DR

3 Posts

May 16th, 2018 11:00

Dell Latitude 7480 Laptop that freezes up

We have a Dell Latitude 7480 Laptop that freezes up.  The computer can just be running but sitting unused or in the midst of heavy processing.  The screen is locked up to the last image, but the keyboard, mouse-pad, and external mouse (if being used) have no impact on the Laptop.     Letting it sit while locked up has no impact on it.  We can power it down with the power button and that unlocks it for a while.  Dell onsite support could not fix it, and two returns to the Dell repair center did not help despite replacing drives and new OS (Windows 10).  We just had Dell send out a tech who replaced the motherboard, memory, and Drive.  It froze up on us twice within hours.  We and Dell seem to be stumped.

We just performed the full ePSA test several times with no findings.           BIOS = 1.9.3          EPSA: Build 4304.17    UEFI ROM.  Has anyone had any similar issues.    

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 8th, 2018 06:00

@BasicH wrote:

Hi,

as Alan suggested, I took the latest updates and installed the following:

1. BIOS update

2. Network driver

3. Dock driver

4. Video driver

The results are:

It looks like updating the drivers resolved the problem with system freezing when disconnecting from the dock. Yesterday I was running the laptop the whole evening on either battery or charger and I almost thought it was all resolved but today again it froze. Just like that, nothing has changed, all programs running as yesterday, nothing new installed. I restarted (off-on) and after 30 seconds it froze again. I'm running now on dock and it works normally without any issues.

@BasicH thanks for testing the system with the updated drivers. As it hasn't resolved the issue it would suggest that the fault still lies with the graphics driver. The upcoming BIOS update and revised graphics driver should resolve the issues for you.

Alan

1 Message

August 8th, 2018 06:00

We are having the same issue with E7480. Sometime it freezes and only hard reboot possible, sometime it bluescreens all the sudden with "WHEA_Uncollectable_Error" message and freezes again when collecting the dump, so can not check the dump to check with bluescreen view. It is not happening when connected to docking station, mostly when moving laptop from one location to other and also when laptop is slightly bumped on something. All drivers and BIOS up to date.

Downgraded video driver to this as suggested. Will see it if resolves the issue.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2018 07:00

Hello, Dell-AlanD,
Many thanks for your answer, and I hope that the revised BIOS and Graphic card driver will be issued soon and will solve this issue.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2018 13:00

I'm having the same problem with some of my 7480s. Not sure how many exactly as some stay on their docks, and it doesn't happen when docked. 

Here is how to duplicate: Re-image with clean ISO of Windows 1803, Go through setup, run windows update, and BAM! Freeze or Whea_uncorrectable_error. 

I did today's bios update and updated/downgraded drivers and it still happens.

Not sure how this can be happening to so many 7480s and we still don't have a resolution. Right now, I have 4 7480s that are sitting unused because of this.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2018 13:00

duplicate post disregard

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 10th, 2018 01:00

@gshep86 wrote:

I'm having the same problem with some of my 7480s. Not sure how many exactly as some stay on their docks, and it doesn't happen when docked. 

Here is how to duplicate: Re-image with clean ISO of Windows 1803, Go through setup, run windows update, and BAM! Freeze or Whea_uncorrectable_error. 

I did today's bios update and updated/downgraded drivers and it still happens.

Not sure how this can be happening to so many 7480s and we still don't have a resolution. Right now, I have 4 7480s that are sitting unused because of this.

Hi @gshep86, as I mentioned a few posts above the WHEA bluescreen is related to the video driver and we are waiting on an updated revision from Intel being released. Once it's validated it will be released for download. The BIOS update that you installed was to address the issues that were noted in the release notes. As I understand it their will be a further BIOS update released soon with additional fixes.

Alan

1 Message

August 10th, 2018 13:00

I am having a similar issue with a couple of users with the 7480 latitude's.  It seems they work fine when connected to a docking station (Dell TB16) but once they are disconnected from the docs they get the WHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR or it just freezes or hangs first.  I am playing with one as I type this and half the time I can't get pass the logon screen before it freezes.  I saw there is a bios update 1.11.1.  I am going to try and install this bios update and see if it resolves it.  Does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 14th, 2018 02:00

Hi all, 

The video driver update has been released to address the freezing and WHEA bluescreen errors. Can you install the driver and the latest BIOS and let me know if it resolves the issues or if you are still having problems.

Graphics driver A06 - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GG5FR
BIOS update 1.11.1- https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=YG7TW

Thanks for you patience and assistance.

Alan

8 Posts

August 14th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for letting us know Alan, I will install and test the new updates today.

27 Posts

August 14th, 2018 17:00

Hi,

I have a 7490 running on a TB16 dock and get the same thing.  When running on the dock, it it stable.  As soon as I power it from battery or the original supply, it BSOD after a few minutes.

I have had the dock for a few months now and was able to run it on battery or the original supply OK until a few weeks ago, so I am suspecting something to do with a Thunderbolt Software update. 

I am going to uninstall all of the Thunderbolt stuff when I get time to see if this helps.

regards

Justin

4 Posts

August 15th, 2018 13:00

Hi all,

I can confirm I've been running the latest BIOS and video driver updates the whole day without any issues. No freezing or blue screens at all. I'll continue testing with and without dock and update my progress here. So far it looks promising. Tny Alan for your support. Regards, Hrvoje

9 Posts

August 15th, 2018 14:00

Fantastic!

I will get these updated drivers to the machines I have and update when we've had a chance to test.

27 Posts

August 16th, 2018 05:00

Hi Alan,

I have installed the updates and will test it soon and report back.  

Justin.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 16th, 2018 05:00

@TracesOfNut wrote:

Hi,

I have a 7490 running on a TB16 dock and get the same thing.  When running on the dock, it it stable.  As soon as I power it from battery or the original supply, it BSOD after a few minutes.

I have had the dock for a few months now and was able to run it on battery or the original supply OK until a few weeks ago, so I am suspecting something to do with a Thunderbolt Software update. 

I am going to uninstall all of the Thunderbolt stuff when I get time to see if this helps.

regards

Justin

@TracesOfNut

Te 7490 uses the same driver as the 7480 system. Updating the graphics driver and the BIOS should resolve the freezing and bluescreen issues the systems are encountering. Can you try that and let me know if it resolves the issues.

Thanks, 
Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 16th, 2018 07:00

@BasicH wrote:

Hi all,

I can confirm I've been running the latest BIOS and video driver updates the whole day without any issues. No freezing or blue screens at all. I'll continue testing with and without dock and update my progress here. So far it looks promising. Tny Alan for your support. Regards, Hrvoje

@BasicH thanks for the update. It's good to hear it's working so far. Keep me posted on any changes.

Alan

No Events found!